What is that taste and aroma?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerheart

Reaction score
I know I could probably post this in "extract brewing" but I really just want some general opinions and/or experiences on this. And sorry if it's already been posted and beat to death, but I must know.

Where does that flavor in extracts come from, and what is it? Some step in the process of making it? Is it the instructions that come with it that people are given to follow? Yeast? I ask because ever since I moved to AG I noticed that flavor is missing (I've always had it in my beers, and it could have been my process, I know).

But lately I began to notice that flavor was in the kits my two LHBS brew up for samples, and in the beers my co-workers and friends make - all extract brewers. I always thought it was just me up to that point. Please don't get me wrong; I've had a LOT of great beers from extract - I would never turn one down or turn my nose up at extract brewing! But there is something there, right?! Am I just imagining this?

Back