Pouring your homebrew from bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sithdad

Reaction score
New home brewer here. From what I have read you want to leave the yeast on the bottom of the bottle by pouring the beer easily and leaving about 1/4" on beer in the bottle. I was told last night, while pouring my wheat beer, that I should pour 1/2 the bottle and then swirl the bottle and then pour the rest of the beer out into the glass. Is this for all types or just wheat beers? Thanks.

That is somewhat dependent on which yeast you used. That is the traditional method for Hefeweizens, but less common for American wheat beers.

edit: Also, wheat beers are the ONLY beers that people consider doing this with.

A lot of people do that for wheat beers, and that's fine. In fact, if you look at the bottle of New Belgium Mothership Wit, there is actually a little label on the side instructing you to do just that.

Although, keep in mind your own digestive tract. Some people's insides don't respond as well to drinking a lot of yeast so you may not want to do that.

But generally this technique is reserved for some wheat beers or those in which you want the yeast to add something to the final product. It isn't really something you do with all beer types.

Thanks guys. I'll try swirling the yeast on one tonight.

Btw, I used Wyeast Bavarian Wheat Blend 3056.

That's a good one. FYI, you can ferment a wheat beer on the high end, around 72F, for more banana flavors, or on the low end 65F, for more clove flavors, and you can drink either one mit hefe (german for "with yeast") or without.

Back