rubber stopper slippery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mux11

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Is there a trick to keep the stopper in the glass carbon?
Mine keeps squeezing out.
Got the size that was recommended for the size carboy.... at a loss.

I don't consider mine to be slippery. Try giving it a good hot scrubbing and see if there is some king of film on it. It should jam in somewhere near halfway and they don't pop out.
This is assuming you have either a blow-off tube or airlock also installed. If its air-tight all bets are off on a stopper popping out.

wrap electrical tape once around neck----then hold a shoe lace over it wrap one more time ----shoe lace up and over cork down other side -----wrap one more layer----backup and repeat.....works great even with slippery sanitizer.

I've found that my stoppers slip out (or even worse, IN) the carboy really easily if they are wet with a star san solution. When they are dry, they stay no problem.

With you on this. Had the exact same issue with my last secondary rack. Even accidentaly pushed one stopper through into the boy as it was slippery as all hell from the starsan soak/rinse. Gave up on the second stopper attempt as it just kepted coming out (had a vodka suck back issue too, but that is a different story). Switced to a 1 inch blow off in a deep bucket of starsan water. Beer is chilling fine ever since. Not sure I will use the stopper again. blowoff iss easier (for me), and seemingly safer at this point.

Good luck

Oh I hate that... It happened to me last time too. Everything was covered with star-san, and I think my stopper was harder and a little more "smooth" than the one I usually use. I ended up using cling wrap to tie down the stopper in the same way that someone above mentioned using tape and shoelaces.

I might try using some fine grit sandpaper next time to make the stopper feel less smooth and more "rubbery" although I'm worried about making scratches where bacteria will hide.

Jeez...you don't have to wedge that thing in immediately for an airtight seal. Just put it on there wet with sanitizer if you must and let it sit wherever it'll stay. Nothing will get past it. When it dries you'll probably find it's stuck well enough, but you can always give it an extra little push if you want. Just wait 'til it dries.

Happens to me when I transfer to my secondary. I think the co2 pushes mine out ... I let the co2 do it's thing for a few mins after I transfer and then it usually stays.

Starsan is slippery and causes the stopper to slip out. Just wet a paper towel with some 100-proof vodka and wipe the stopper. It will stay in now. I've done this three times already.

awesome! glad its not just me. threw a piece of foil over the top.

Was blown away when I peeked and all the head space was full of a nice kraeusen.... Doing the happy dance as its my first brew.
tanks

Latest posts

Back