Homebrew and Friends

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joutlaw

Reaction score
Man my homebrew has been vanishing lately. I've gone through 10 gallons in 2 weeks and now I only have my "special reserve" sunshine wheat. I made some Light Ale and kegged it, but its not quite ready to drink and a little too light for me. SWMBO will like it at least.

It seems people like coming over to the house a lot more since I started homebrewing... then even more once I started kegging. It's cool though, b/c I'm averaging around 20$/5 gallons. Thats really nothing, not factoring in your time involved though... around 2 - 2 1/2 hours.

I like it though, but just ready for others to start so I can drink their beer and critique it :cross: . SWMBO's dad got me started and now he's diggin my stuff more than his, mainly b/c I'll try different styles than he will. But we have "sampling" each others brew. He got me a Tap-a-Draft for xmas so I could bring my up to him since I started kegging :D

Enough rambling it's Friday!!!

I'm a little concerned about the construction of the new garage. The contractor tells everybody that I homebrew (not that he's had any of it yet). This is a guy that drank 2 quarts of hard (10.5 ABV) cider in an afternoon and said he was feelin' it a little. I may have to get a lock for the brewery.

Or I could mix 1 part PRA with 2 parts water and serve that.

It's kind of a dilema for me. I want my friends to try my beer and don't want to be greedy, but they kind of look at it as "free" beer. It only cost me $25 bucks for 55 of them. Only problem is that by the time I give several friends one or two beers, I'm down to about a case. That's just not enough beer for all of my hard work.

I brew quite a bit because I love the hobby, love experimenting with different styles. However, I can't drink it all. I enjoy having little get-togethers and having all the buds come over and drink off the tap, and float a keg. :D

I usually try to have 2 on tap all the time--one easy drinker and one "private reserve". The latest private reserve is the smoked porter. It is special--meaning I don't want the swill drinkers coming over and pouring a pint and then dumping 3/4 of it. I love it when my buds bug me to brew up another fat tire batch so they can come over. :)

I wish more of you guys were closer so we could all try out each others' beers. I'm not boasting, but my last few have improved 100 fold over from when I first started.

Yep I'm trying to teach them, but its takin a little time I suppose. It's in all good fun though. As long as they help me make it and the cleaning everynow and then... they have earned their brew... :D

ORRELSE said:
I wish more of you guys were closer so we could all try out each others' beers. I'm not boasting, but my last few have improved 100 fold over from when I first started.

Yeah. I used to have a British neighbor who brewed, so we were always trying each others beers. I ended up working for his compony for a while early 90's. We built the vehicle health monitors for the docklands rail project. He was the CEO. It used to really piss off my immediate boss (fracking popus prick) when the CEO would come in and start talking brewing with me. haha

Tell them all that you're happy to share the love, but coming over empty-handed just isn't cool. If they F you by bringing Milly Lite, transfer it into bottles and serve it to them next time as your "Awesome Miller Lite clone".

I've SERIOUSLY been thinking of brewing an all Corn sugar "beer" with just a touch of hops and serving that as my miller/bud/coor/canadian/kokenee megaswill all in one clone.
Add some food coloring for color. :cool:

or perhaps throw in a shot glass of extract just to be honest when calling it beer.

Cheesefood said:
Tell them all that you're happy to share the love, but coming over empty-handed just isn't cool. If they F you by bringing Milly Lite, transfer it into bottles and serve it to them next time as your "Awesome Miller Lite clone".
Hey Cheesefood! Finally got a few minutes huh? How's the baby?

My last keg only lasted 5 hours:drunk: I now have a tip jar on the fridge. When they come over, throw down a couple dollars and have fun.:D

Cheesefood said:
Dare I thread-jack?
As if that never happens around here!

As far as drinking of the homebrew goes, I don't mind it too much when people come over for a social visit. The wife and I love entertaining and I always like to have plenty of food and beverage for the guests, it's usually reciprocated.

I have a few neighbors who want some of my homebrew for their private reserves which I indulge as long as they're helping on brewday, bottling day, and split the expenses.

Back