Suggestions for flavoring

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

svehex

Reaction score
I have a 5 gallon batch of high ABV mead which has been sitting for a year to develop flavor. This has unfortunately not happened. I tried to backsweeten without success. I'm now considering splitting it into 5 batches and adding flavor to 4 of them, while letting the last one sit longer.

The flavors I've considered are:

Lime
Vanilla
Orange peel and Cinnamon
Raspberry
Red Currant

The method I've used before has been to add the falvorings to a mueslin bag and let it sit for two weeks.

Would this be a good idea? I won a competition with a mead I flavored with orange peel, cinnamon, cloves, and ginger in 2011.

That's good to hear :) any suggestions on amounts per gallon? So I don't go overboard

Lime - Don't think you can really overdo this one. a 50/50 mix will give you an alcoholic lime-aide, but that doesn't sound too bad.
Vanilla - One vanilla bean per gallon?
Orange peel and Cinnamon - refer to a JOAM recipe
Raspberry - I'd go with at least three pounds of fresh rasberries per gallon
Red Currant - Don't know much about red currants, as they are not common in the US. But I'd assume 2-3 pounds per gallon

Back