Can't Get Anise Flavor Out of Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bizybrewer

Reaction score
So, I used 2 ounces of crushed star anise in my holiday beer, but since then I have yet to completely remove the flavor! After my beer ran out I cleaned with one step and filled the keg with my doppelbock. It quickly came to my attention that i did not sufficiently clean the keg, as the flavor was overpowering. After the doppelbock i decided to try cleaning with the one step again, put nose in keg, could still smell the anise, cleaned with oxy clean, could still smell it and then cleaned with diluted chlorine. After the chlorine i assumed that the smell was gone because I didnt smell it at the time, but after tapping into my schwarzbier I still taste the anise! Has anyone had this problem before? Is there anything you guys know of that works especially well against anise? Any ideas would be appreciated. thanks!

You might have to replace the o-rings, are you removing the posts for cleaning?

First, you should never use chlorine in your keg...it will start to pit the stainless and pretty soon you will have flavors and smells you will never get rid of. Chances are is that you can get rid of the oil from the star, and I am guessing that the majority of it is still in your dip tube...you could disassemble it, in which I recommend following these instructions ( http://www.wikihow.com/Assemble-a-Cornelius-Keg ) or you could clean it with a food safe degreaser, such as 1 part white vinegar with 1 part water...filled to the top of the keg and let sit over night.

Hope this helps!

did you replace all 5 o-rings yet? They are the only porous material, everything else is stainless and shouldn't absorb any smells or flavors.

I have not replaced any of the o rings. I have some extras so i will try that. The degreaser formula is good to know as well. Thanks!

It could also be in your tubing. I've done beers with anise and didn't have a problem, but if it sat on the rubber tubing for a while, it could be that. Every time I kick a keg, I immediately clean the keg and run about 1.5 gallons of boiling water through the keg/tap then sanitize. Works like a charm for me so far!

Yeah, add my voice to that. You really should do a 'keg rebuild' -replace the o-rings (all of them, including the ones that are on the dip tube and the gas-in tublete. Pull the whole thing apart, give the parts a good cleaning (if you don't have a dip-tube brush, get one! ) and once you re-assemble (don't forget to use a light coating of keg lube/grease) you shouldn't have this problem any longer.
I rebuild my kegs about once a year (and they would likely last much longer, its just 'my thing') but I always keep plenty of post O-rings handy (bought a bag of a hundred of those and the mini-O-rings for the tubes).

Latest posts

Back