Whats your "go to" base malt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goose1873

Reaction score
I just finished my all-grain system and am picking up a barley crusher and a sack or 2 of malt. I typically drink APA/IPA's and German beers (kolsch, oktoberfest, etc...)

It seems that Maris otter is a great base malt, but wanted to see what everyone likes...and is there a big difference btw MO and american 2-row.

I like good ole 2row for my pales and ipa's, many will prefer mo, I don't.

i like 2-row because I can get it at a steal (rahr). marris otter is great, but it's a little more costly and really, IMHO, is not the right choice for american pale ales or IPAs. that said, i've had good results with using it as half the grist for an APA. and pilsner is usually the choice for kolsch. but i think 2-row is a good starting point due to the flexibility. supposedly the MO gives more of a nutty/biscuity backbone to the beer than 2-row will.

Has been Brewers 2-Row but, I am gonna switch it to Pilsner. I just like that as a base and the color possibilities are endless from there.

My LHBS sucks...best price on 2-row is $70 for 50lbs...i know shipping costs are a lot but really have no choice...

I prefer Maris Otter to American 2 row. If you are looking for to purchase a 55 sack try North Country Malt. http://www.northcountrymalt.com/index.html They quoted me $40.24 for Thomas Fawcett Maris Otter and $34.78 for Best Malz pilsner. Freight to the Raleigh area for both 55 lb. sacks was $53. Even with freight they were still $20 cheaper than the LHBS.

Call North Country as the price on their website is more than what they will quote you for both the product and the freight.

Look for a local group Bulk buy on here. My LHBS is $90 for a sack. The same as if you were to buy the full back 1 lb at a time. But I found a hardware store withing 45 minutes that sells brew supplies last weekend. $52 for a full sakc of 2 Row :) just need a crusher this summer.

My LHBS sucks...best price on 2-row is $70 for 50lbs...i know shipping costs are a lot but really have no choice...

Goose, you should try getting in with one of the homebrew clubs there for a group buy. I'm sure there's one close to you, if not, try piggybacking on an order with one of the brewpubs close to you.

Keep on brewing my friends:mug:

Back