Tempermental Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WorkBoots09

Reaction score
Brewed Rogue Dead Guy kit a few weeks ago, but didn't find the pacman yeast that's recommended. I used white labs Edinburgh yeast, and started out fermentation in the swamp cooler too cool. Temps were 58-60 with no activity (airlock and checking the surface). Brought it out into the closet for a few days and started seeing results. Returned it to the swamp cooler and temps stayed at about 60 for another week. The last few days topped out at nearly 70, and I tried to bottle tonight. There was still a flipping head of Krausen! There were still bubbles hitting the surface. OG was 1.065, and it hit 1.020 tonight, pretty close to the brewing notes. I tasted the sample and it is still pretty sweet. I'm worried that I'm going to over carbonate and end up with a mess, so I packed everything back up for a day. Ill check tomorrow and make sure the gravity is steady.

If you are using a carboy, some have had luck with agitating the beer inside by rolling it back and forth a bit

I don't know "Rogue Dead Guy".

What should it finish like? It almost sounds like you are lagering.

Back