apple cherry 12/25/2010 Christmas cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trippivot

Reaction score
I have a 5 gallon batch in my corny keg that I made up on christmas..

I like that there are so many different ways you fellows make your ciders - some things I have never heard of... dry hopping and graff. wow.

I use a 6 gallon primary bucket and a glass 5 gallon carboy as a secondary.
I keg nowadays -- after so many years of washing bottles.

I like to use 150 micron filter everytime I rack from 1 vehicle to another.

I start by using old orchard concentrate (no preservatives)I have many recepies but this time I went this route.

boil: 15~20 minutes
5 pounds of corn sugar
1/4 cup cinnamon
5 tsp yeast nutrient
in 1~ 1.5 gallon water. not a precise volume

I put 8 containers of old orchard apple cherry concentrate after they melt into the bucket with 3 gallons of cold -filtered- water. -

I only boil the powdered sugar and nutrient solution. I have had great luck doing it this way. I am a clean freak when I brew.

cool the corn sugar solution and add it to the rest in the bucket and fill to top off to 5.5 gallon--- take the O.G. it was 1.062 at pitching temperature 76 degrees F

I used lalvin D-47 for the fruity finish...

4 days later 12/29/2010 when primary activity slowed I filtered/racked it into the secondary -- middle gravity was at 1.006 @ 71degrees F
it was good sour and tart on 12/29/10

it was 1/5/2011 and the glass carboy was half way cleared . the top was clear and darker - bottom was still cloudy.

on 1/8/2011 it was clear enough for me F.G. 0.996 @ 72deg. F

I boiled 3/4 cup corn sugar and 12oz sorbate in about 20oz water -- cooled --
primed the batch and put into the keg...

I am now waiting for the finished product -- I am probably going to tap it and get a sample later today.... I hate waiting.

tart tartilly tart tart roof smacking good. peach color / not quite pink AND the cost to make 5 gallons is under $20.00.

yep I pulled a couple pints out of the keg

good! very good! the only thing it needs is lively bubbles! more waiting.

Back