Waaay to much yeast nutrient...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Celestyal

Reaction score
Okay, so this is what happens when you think "hey, my apfelwein has near stopped bubbling. What should i do now?" Then your twin who happens to be thinking the same thing goes "how about yeast nutrient!" Thinking i put in a squee bit too much.:mug:

P3170272.JPG

P3170271.JPG

By the way, the bung is still in there.
(No comments on the dirty kitchen, i know i need to do the dishes.):ban:

you didn't add too much,(probably) the crystals of the the nutrient just disrupted the gas that was in suspension and released the gas. Just like mentos and soda. I had it happen to me once and now I just dissolve the crystals in some water or juice and then add to the must.
It does make a glorious mess tho doesn't it!:D

Always dissolve any dry additions like nutrient to liquid before adding to the must to prevent accidents like this. Winemaking is a learning process and everything we do teaches us lessons.

Adding the crystals creates nucleation sites-points where the gasses in solution are released suddenly and in volume.

Latest posts

Back