frozen blueberry question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ron,ar

Reaction score
I have quite a lot of frozen blueberries and am thinking about making wine from them. I am not sure how to procede, should I just thaw them out, use a straining bag and add the campden tablet or do they need to be boiled? Years ago I made wine with frozen fruit and for whatever reason I think I boiled the fruit (frozen figs) first.Any thoughts on this?

DON'T boil the fruit! You'll set the pectin and make blueberry jam. Just thaw them and use 1 campden tablet per gallon, along with some pectic enzyme. I'd thaw the berries, add the campden in a little water, and stir and let sit for a day. Then proceed with the recipe. I haven't used this recipe yet, but this is the one I'm making when I get some blueberries:

BLUEBERRY WINE (3)
(Medium Bodied)
3 pts blueberries
3 lbs granulated sugar
½ tsp. pectic enzyme
1 tsp yeast nutrient
7 pt. water
wine yeast
Put water on to boil and stir in sugar until dissolved. Meanshile, wash blueberries, put in nylon straining bag and tie bag closed. In primary fermentation vessel, crush blueberries. Pour boiling water into primary and stir well, cover, and set aside to cool. Stir in yeast nutrient and pectic enzyme, recover primary and set aside for 12 hours. Add activated yeast and recover. Stir daily and press pulp in nylon bag to extract flavor. Ferment 10 days, strain juice from bag and allow to settle overnight. Siphon liquor off sediments into glass secondary and fit airlock. Rack, top up and refit airlock every 60 days until wine is clear and all signs of fermentation are at least 30 days past (6-7 months). Stabilize, wait two weeks and rack into bottles. Allow 6-12 to mature. [Adapted from Steven A. Krause's
Wines from the Wilds] This is from Jack Keller's website.

Latest posts

Back