Grain mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pellphoto

Reaction score
We're getting set up for AG and were wondering if people prefer 2-roller or 3-roller mills. Is the 3-roller worth the higher price?

I have the standard JS MaltMill. Since I bought it (and I've changed mash tun equipment in that time) my brewhouse efficiency has been consistently 75% or higher for standard to big 5 gallon batches. Having never owned or used a 3-roller, I can't advise which would be better, but from my experience it's not worth the extra price.

The only things I've been wildly different on have occurred with my keg mash tun were a Special Bitter that came out with high OG and a 10 gallon Strong Scotch that came out around 65% efficiency. Otherwise I've hit my numbers within 3 gravity points on nearly every batch.

I've also had no issues with my rye or wheat beers being low, which is one consideration for going with adjustable or 3-roller mills.

Awesome. Thanks, kylevester. I think we'll go with a 2-roller and have more $$ to put into ingredients.

You should get a Barley Mill (two roller). They are good enough for low volume home brewing and will never wear out.
Cheers,
Chattan

Monster mill MM2, awesome mill. You can control the crush by adjusting the gap between the rollers. The mill is solid and will increase your efficiency by at least 5-10 percent, maybe more.

Back