Converting Brix To PPG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodwha

Reaction score
California Concentrate, who makes the ultralight LME, and possibly the pale LME that MoreBeer sells has a Brix of 80. Looking around, if I'm not mistaken equates to percentage of sugar, therefore being 80%. If I'm not mistaken, a PPG of 46 would be 100% sugar. To convert their LME into the PPG scale would then be 36.8 PPG. Correct?

sugar, granulated 7.09 pounds per gallon

Aqua-calc

It give the density of many common substances in many units. Very useful for cooking. I think it started out as someone who wanted to calculate the capacity of aquariums and evolved.

PPG = points per pound per gallon

LME ~ 37
DME ~ 45
2-row ~ 37
Crystal(60) ~ 34
Corn sugar ~ 46

From Kaiser:
Working with ppg makes the problem of figuring out the extract potential much harder and the easiest way is to take the extract potential of sucrose (47 ppg) and multiply it with the sugar content of corn sugar (95%) like a10t2 said. This gives you 44.6

I found that a lot of the priming and efficiency calculations are much easier when working with Plato. To get the deg Plato for a solution all you need to know is the weight of the water and the weight of the extract (or sugar)

Plato = 100 * m_extract / ( m_extract + m_water)

If you need to know the volume of the resulting solution just determine the specific gravity either by estimation sg = 1 + Plato / 250 or with a more precise approximation. Then you can determine the volume of the wort by dividing its weight ( m_extract + m_water) by the specific gravity which has the unit kg/l

V_wort = sg * m_wort = sg * ( m_extract + m_water)

This is also how you can calculate how much dissolved sugar expands the volume of the solution and you can reverse the calculations to determine home much weight of extract is in a wort of given volume and specific gravity.

In addition to that, the PPG based calculations are actually the result of using the simplified Plato to sg conversion: sg = 1 + Plato / 250. If that wouldn’t be close enough for most of our calculations we wouldn’t be able to use the simple PPG based methods.

Back