Nelson Sauvin Wheat Ale advice wanted

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

koomber

Reaction score
Planning putting together a nelson sauvin wheat ale. Thinking about 20 to 30% wheat, pilsner for malts. Maybe some sugar to get the abv up but keeping the body thin, though maybe a lower temp will do the same thing.

Going to keep the ibu low and go for a n.s. Domination on the aroma, but maybe backing it of a little on the flavour so the wheat spicyness can come through.

Does anyone have some tips on using this hop to get flavour and aroma? I don't want to drowsn out the wheat flavour, but I want people to smell it and go 'wow'.

I'm also wondering about yeast. I think continental would be the way to go but not sure which strain. I suspect a cloveish one would be good but that's because I think a banana profile might just get lost in the fruit bowl that is n.s.

If anyone has any suggestions or tips I'd really like to hear them

Sounds like you're on the right track, although I'd go as high as 40% wheat if you're planning on getting hop flavor too. If you only want a mild hop flavor and aroma, you could just do a Bittering and Dry Hop combo, eschewing any other boil additions. If you keep the amounts low (~.5oz bittering, 1oz DH?), you should get a good NS nose and still let the wheat shine through, especially as it ages. Maybe another half ounce of hops at ~10 minutes remaining just so it has some lasting power.

I'd agree with going with a spicier strain rather than a fruity one, but the most important part would be to keep proper temperature control. If you let it rocket off to 80F on day 1, the esters will overpower just about anything else you do. I don't have a specific recommended strain, but perhaps someone else can chime in there.

Back