Keezer - sanity check before proceeding

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eujamfh

Reaction score
Before I start the keezer, I wanted to run this by the forum. Based on all the reading I have done, I think I am tracking…two questions remain; chalk board paint and CO2 set up.

- 14.8 Maytag from Home Depot - scratch and dent
- Intend on four taps, which leaves lots of room for standby/crashing
- NOT building a collar. I have decided to use towers.
--I think I will go with two, two tap towers (Perlick 525ss). Going with two since it is cheaper then a four tap tower, I can get a tower with 525ss already installed.
-- Towers only slightly more expensive then parting out a coffin box myself and frankly am not that handy with my wood tools. Wife wants it to look decent so towers are a safer bet.
--towers centered (not all the way to the back) for astetics as well as helping with the amount I will have to move from wall to open top
- Will put the chest on casters (going to harbor freight today to look as casters- they have one version with ball bearings so I will likely get that one)
- Planning on 1/2 plywood on top (stained), with some sort of board inside for additional tower support.
- Intend on painting sides with chalkboard paint. ***I am not sure what to do with the dimpling on the freezer. Have those that painted spent the time to bondo in all the dimples or can I simply paint the sides (two coats)???
- single regulator with diverter valve for eight kegs. Clearly will serve from four, but want to carbonate slowly at dispensing pressure. (not sold on this yet - my put a second regulator in there…)
- Johnson digital controller

Am missing anything? Any thoughts on the chalk paint and number of regulators? I already have a four port diverter so I was just going to add another but could easily modify based on input.

Looks like a good plan.
Get the best casters you can and be sure they are hard not the soft rubber, they will flat spot with that much weight.
Ditch the temp controller. There is a thread here that shows you how to adjust the tiny screw on the back of the thermostat on the freezer, I can't find it right now but it works it's what I did.
You will need the second regulator to do force carbonating unless you can shut off or disconnect your other taps. Be sure to use shut off valves.
Good Luck and Enjoy.

Back