Peaches for Summer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewsmedic

Reaction score
New to AG brewing and still using kits to get a feel for what I'm doing. Thinking about doing a peach beer with a midwest supplies wheat beer AG kit.

Thinking about using around 4 pounds of mashed up peaches in primary for about 10 days then racking into secondary for a couple of weeks and letting it sit in bottles for a bit.

My other thought is using a Belgian type with Brown Sugar instead of candied sugar and 4 pounds of peaches again though it would obviously need to set a bit more in secondary.

Anyone have experience using those kits with fruit additions?

Again, my comfort level is just getting into AG and I like using the kits but I like messing with them as well!

Not familiar with the kits, but I've heard that fruit should be put in the secondary. I've been wanting to try a beer with strawberries, but haven't really read up on it to see how to do it. Peaches sound good too, though...

All I can say is start with a lot less peach than you might want to and then continue to add until you get the amount you are shooting for. Just had to dump a batch for the first time because I put 3 lbs of raspberries in my secondary when 1 lb would've been more than plenty. The wife couldn't even enjoy it be because it was too tart. You can ALWAYS add more, but cant take it out.

I did a peach ginger wheat a few months ago that was stellar. I put the peach in the secondary. I also added the grated rind of 1 lemon (without pith) to cut the peach sweetness a bit. Talk about a SWMBO pleaser!

Peach is a hard flavor to get...I can tell you from experience 4lbs won't get you any peach flavor....I hear but haven't tried is the trick is to add appicots to get a peach flavor.

Peach is a hard flavor to get...I can tell you from experience 4lbs won't get you any peach flavor....I hear but haven't tried is the trick is to add appicots to get a peach flavor.

I agree. I made a peach IPA last summer with 6 pounds of peaches in 5 gallons. It was good but could have stood another pound or two. Although a wheat might not need as much to get the flavor to come through.

Sounds like the wheat is going to win! I'm going to put a little brown sugar then try five lbs peaches in secondary. I'll post the results!

declanhalpin said:
I did a peach ginger wheat a few months ago that was stellar. I put the peach in the secondary. I also added the grated rind of 1 lemon (without pith) to cut the peach sweetness a bit. Talk about a SWMBO pleaser!

Recipe? Ive been wanting a peach ginger beer...

brewsmedic said:
Sounds like the wheat is going to win! I'm going to put a little brown sugar then try five lbs peaches in secondary. I'll post the results!

You might try the little cones of Mexican sugar called piconcillo. ( my spelling may be off)

Well, my wife got me a 20 minute boil wheat beer kit from midwest for Fathers day by accident. Seemed like a good time to brew and get a feel for the flavors and, if it got jacked up, I'm only out 20 minutes of brewing! Got the wheat brewed and after a week in primary, crushed up about 15-18 peaches (had a few crushed already in the course of jam making so I lost track but it's a good start) and moved them into a glass carboy with the beer. Looked at it and thought, "I hope there is enough room there..." and went to my daughters karate class. Came home three hours later and found bits of peach 4 feet up the closet and at least half of my peaches blasted out the top of the carboy and stuck to everything...my first beer blow up! Hopefully there will be enough flavor to gauge how much more I need and how it works with Wheat beer in general but I can say it will ferment it's a$$ off! I made this a honey wheat and, if it's on the right track, will update and tinker with an all grain batch and a bigger carboy!

Back