Bought a used keggle, need help cleaning it

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cfrazier77

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I got a great deal on a bunch of used homebrew stuff including a keggle. The problem with it is that it has a bunch of burnt stuff on the bottom. It looks like burnt liquid malt extract. I soaked it for a couple of hours in strong hot oxyclean and a little came off. I soaked it for longer in very strong oxyclean and scrubbed the dickens out of it with steal wool, some more came off but a lot is still there.

So what do I do now? Do I need to sandblast this? From where it has come off the metal looks stained underneath. Do I need to do something to the metal after getting it all off?

Thanks!

1. DO ***NOT**** use steel wool - it ain't stainless and iz gunna EFF that thing *UP*

2. I'd hook up a green kitchen pad to one of my "quarter-sheet" sanders, and go at it. ymmv.

3. It's a keggle, have you tried boiling the cleaning solution?

4. whatever you do, last step is to re-passivate. I just use bar keepers friend.

Put in a few cups of vinegar mixed with an equal part of water, let it sit for 30 minutes to a couple of hours depending on how bad it is. Just let it sit, walk away and don't be tempted to touch it.

Or fill with ammonia, seal up the keggle with plastic wrap and let it sit overnight.

Steel wool isn't good for your keggle, but it's not a game changer if you re-passivate it. DO NOT sand blast it. I had some funk on one of my keggles that wouldn't come out. I finally scrubbed it with steel wool and got it clean. Went over the scrub area with a couple of different grits of ScothBrite and a paste of BKF. All turned out well.

Also, if you'uns is city folk, you can probably find someone to blast it with baking soda. Alot of chrome shops have the set up or can tell you who does. Try to barter them some homebrew. Luck and tell us how it turns out - Dwain

I ended up getting all of the junk out. It was like ground up stone. Nothing was touching it. I boiled Oxyclean in it, vinegar, BTF, green scrub pads, steel wool. A friend who is a welder at a steel mill said that I would have to use a brass wheel. Well, that worked and didn't do any visible damage. I soaked it and scrubbed it down afterwards with bar keepers friend. Hopefully everything is still good. But, at the price I paid for it I cannot complain.

Thanks for the help!

Back