Mild Bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KCBrew

Reaction score
Hey guys, I know this might be out of place but I have been reading up on the Mild threads and couldn't really get at a good answer, so I thought I'd post. I brewed up a mild last Thursday (6 days ago, Orfy's Mild Mannered adapted to 5 gal(AG)) and was wondering if you guys any tips on the schedule moving forward. The problem is that I don't know how such a light, mild beer will deal with extended times. Should I bottle at 10 days and then just proceed as normal from there(drink starting at 2 weeks)?

And what about a cold crash the night before bottling? (So far it is nothing but grain water hops and yeast, so a bit cloudy, but not bad)

Thanks!

I always let my ales like this go two weeks, just to be safe. If you go shorter periods before bottling, I'd recommend checking the final gravity over a few days to make sure it's really done. A low-gravity mild should ferment out quickly, given a good pitching rate, but I always play on the safe side.

A mild won't keep as long has a higher-gravity ale, but it will still last a few months, easily. Unless it is really good, then it likely won't last that long anyway!

I don't bother with cold-crashing ales like this, especially if the point is to let them bottle condition. And unless they are very light in color, that perfect clarity isn't a big deal anyway.

Nice to see another mild fan out there. Cheers!

Greg

Back