Peristaltic Pump Opinions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PtreeCreekBrew

Reaction score
I've looked through some of the older stuff and seen that some folks have built or are otherwise using peristaltic pumps...

What's the overall impression? Worth it? Or too much of a pain? Potential pitfalls?

Thanks!

Pluses and minuses. Self-priming!! Have to have the right tubing :mad: Less places for any contamination to hide :ban: Typically not as high a flow rate :drunk:

I have one (cheap commercial jobby) that I don't brew with but I do use it to do recirculating cleaning of my tap lines. Works great for that!

I've been wanting one for a while, but they are more $$ than I want to spend to buy one and I haven't had a chance to build one yet.

One nice thing is that if you use the right sized parts you can get a good flow rate, and the head they put out is generally MUCH better than an impeller pump, from what I've read.

Plus, the only real replacement part is a bit of silicone hose. Cleaning is as simple as running some cleaner and sanitizer through and there are no real places for bits to get hung up at.

Back