Cant you use regular sugar instead of dextrose to prime?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Regular sugar will not be fermented like dextrose, and will leave your beer with a very cidery taste, as well as little/no carbonation.

Get some dextrose, your lHBS should have it. AKA Corn Sugar, can probably find that at the grocery store.

1.25 cups of DME boiled in a small amount of water will be fine. If it's an English Ale or other lesser-carbed beer, go with 1 cup.

I did 1.25 cups in my ESB and the foam was... ummmm.. "robust". Huge, thick head... almost like whipped cream- it seriously had a thick consistency, but it was amazing. So I cut it back to 1 cup for my current batch.... I'm hoping for a little less drama while pouring the beer. But people say that 1.25 cups is the right amount, I'm just not sure if I agree.... But if it's a British ale, carb a little less anyway just to be on the safe side and it'll be true to the style anyway.

Edit to add... that's for a 5 gallon batch.

britishbloke said:
This beer will be a Chocolate Oatmeal Stout.

OK Ill try the DME. Thanks.:rockin:

Stouts don't need a huge head. Go with one cup of DME. Hopefully it's not Laaglander though.

Either way, they say DME will take a little bit longer to carbonate, but it's no biggie.

Back