need a quick test to reduce foaming

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twd000

Reaction score
I have had my kegerator for about a year, and pushed ~ 10 kegs through it. I put 12-14 psi on all kegs @ 36 F.

From the start, I have had some issues with foaming. I tried the epoxy mixer sticks, which slowed down the flow to a reasonable rate, but it still foams. I though it might be the warm outdoor temperature on the faucets, but now it's cold outside and it's still foaming.

So I want to run a longer line and see if that fixes it. I believe I have 3 feet of 3/16" Bevlex hose. Can I just go to Lowes and get 6 feet of 3/16 tubing and try that?

[...]So I want to run a longer line and see if that fixes it. I believe I have 3 feet of 3/16" Bevlex hose. Can I just go to Lowes and get 6 feet of 3/16 tubing and try that?

You could buy cheap vinyl tubing from Lowes, but I wouldn't recommend it, as beer sitting in vinyl tubing will pick up that plastic character. I would recommend buying real beer line, like Bevlex 200, and I'd start with 10 feet...

Cheers!

I removed the epoxy-mixer sticks from the liquid dip tube.

I got some 3/16" ID Bevlex 200. It went on smoothly once I heated the ends in hot water. I started with 8 feet of hose. I got a smooth pour (no turbulence induced by the mixing sticks) but it pours so fast that it still foams. Should I keep adding more hose length to slow down the pour?

I should also note that some of the kegs are higher than the tap in elevation. I remember someone posting a chart showing the equivalent pressure head of a given length of 3/16 beer hose. Can anyone point me to that?

Back