When to add honey?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BansheeRider

Reaction score
What is the preferred method of adding honey? I did a search and there is a lot of old out dated threads in this. What is your recommendation? Flame out, add to secondary, to the bottle, need some clarification. Also will 1 pound be enough? I am doing a White House honey ale pieced together from my LHBS. Also what is the best kind of honey to buy? Thanks!

I just did a Honey Cream Ale weekend before last and added the honey at flame out. Northern Brewer who markets a White house honey ale recommends 1 lb 5 mins before flame out.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/beerkits/WhiteHouseHoneyAle.pdf

Adding honey tends to make the beer finish a little dryer. I only did 1/2 a lb in my cream ale after reading of too many people not happy with the outcome of adding too much honey.

Honey is nearly 100% fermentable. It will completely dry out your beer. If you want that honey sweet flavor, do what the pros do and use honey malt. It has non-fermentable sugars in it that will impart that flavor you're looking for without drying out the beer.

Honey is nearly 100% fermentable. It will completely dry out your beer. If you want that honey sweet flavor, do what the pros do and use honey malt. It has non-fermentable sugars in it that will impart that flavor you're looking for without drying out the beer.

What's the process using malt?

It's a specialty grain that you can steep (or mash if you're ag). I usually use .5 lbs in recipes and get a decent honey flavor.

It's a specialty grain that you can steep (or mash if you're ag). I usually use .5 lbs in recipes and get a decent honey flavor.

It's probably a bit cheaper too. Do you steep with the other grains or steep seperate?

You can steep it with your other grains, no problem.

And yes, $1.89/lb for Gambrinus Honey Malt v $4.99 for the 1 lb of El Cheapo Brand Honey at the grocery store.

Latest posts

Back