Teamaker Hops in Lambic?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weizenstein

Reaction score
So I was just reading about the Teamaker hop, a super low alpha, high beta acid hop bred for the tea/herbalist market. (Rhizomes are available!) That sounds a lot like the profile for aged lambic hops right? Below 1% alpha, but lots of preservative beta acids. Any thoughts on whether this could be a good substitution? (Or jumping off point for experimentation)

I'm looking around for a few oz to give this a shot.:mug:

I have an almost one year old Teamaker rhizome that I bought for the purpose of experimenting with sours but I have read that when using unaged hops in beers the beta acids become bitter as they age. A ratio of 2:1 alpha to beta yields a beer that keeps roughly the same bitterness level as it ages. So the 15% beta acids in the Teamakers might be extremely bitter after a couple years.

Weizenstein said:
So I was just reading about the Teamaker hop, a super low alpha, high beta acid hop bred for the tea/herbalist market. (Rhizomes are available!) That sounds a lot like the profile for aged lambic hops right? Below 1% alpha, but lots of preservative beta acids. Any thoughts on whether this could be a good substitution? (Or jumping off point for experimentation)

I'm looking around for a few oz to give this a shot.:mug:

Sounds good, but yeah, you'd still need to age them.

Latest posts

Back