STC1000 and Thermowells - Thermal paste or no?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pfgonzo

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
For those who use in-fermenter thermowells with their STC1000 probes, do you just insert the probe into the well and leave it at that, or do you fill the well with water or other substance (thermal paste, thermopaste or whatever) to ensue a better contact?

Any recommendations?

Thanks! :mug:

I'm brewing tomorrow, still wondering what others are doing. I'm assuming filling the thermowell with water will help with accuracy... Any other thoughts???

in a thermowell, thermal grease of course. Or diaper cream if you have it to hand - same stuff.

in a thermowell, thermal grease of course. Or diaper cream if you have it to hand - same stuff.

i assume you mean a zinc oxide ointment like A&D Ointment? have you used that, and does it actually work?

Yes and yes. I think the brand I used was Desitin. It is zinc oxide in petrolatum instead of zinc oxide in silicone grease. But at the temps we are talking about it works fine to make a thermal contact.

Proper thermal grease is dirt cheap but if you don't have any to hand, it's a useful trick to know.

Just wondering what you are using for the thermowell itself? Did you make one? I could not find a combo stopper thermowell that the stc-1000 probe would fit?

Blimey those are expensive. 1/4" closed end tubes are $3-4 from Brewer's Hardware depending on length. Or use copper pipe and crimp/solder the end.

Or use copper pipe and crimp/solder the end.

You shouldn't use copper in your carboy. Small amounts in your kettle are fine and even good for the yeast. During fermentation, the acidic wort dissolves copper the entire time it's in contact and becomes poisonous. Check out the brewing network's podcast on metals. http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/Brew-Strong/Brew-Strong-09-29-08-Metals-that-Affect-Your-Beer. Palmer really seems to know his stuff regarding metals.

Sorry yes that's right. I forgot OP was talking about a fermenter. I use a copper thermowell in my BK.

Just Insert Your RTD Probe Into The Thermowell and Thats It.
Big Breweries Usually Maintain +- 0.5 Degree F Temp Control
Using It This Way.
Trusted Source BUD/InBEV

I took the probe for the stc1000 to my local brew store and it would not fit into this type of thermowell....I thought about getting a stick of 3/8 SS...then putting a swaglock cap...just wanted to see what everyone else is doing. Thx.

Latest posts

Back