Total noob ? Dry vs Sparkling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whoptbird

Reaction score
Ok I tried finding this quickly (yeah I know could probably find it if I did more research but I'm about to leave for work and this has been bugging me all morning) on the web but was unlucky. What is the difference between dry and sparkling cider? From what I could find it seems sparkling is non alcoholic and carbonated, dry is alcoholic but not carbonated and dry sparkling is alcoholic and carbonated. I couldn't find a definate answer as to "yep that's it" so I figured I'd ask you guys. I even checked Ed's apfelwein recipe to see if it had any info and I didn't see any. Thanks you guys and gals are the tits :D

I'm not sure you have your comparisons correct.

Dry vs. Sweet (non-sweet vs. sweeter)

Sparkling vs. Still (carbonated vs. non-carbonated)

All cider is alcoholic in my book :cross: . I suppose non-alcoholic cider could be dry or sweet and sparkling or still. Orchard fresh cider would be sweet and still.

Ok that actually helps. I've only ever seen the sparkling and not the still version. So the dry is the sweetness and the sparkling is carbonated. It's amazing that one little word makes all the sense. I hate being a noob sometimes, yeah I know "we've all been there... well most of us" :) Thanks Beerthoven

You may be confused by what you can see in stores, most stores sell "Sparkling Cider'' or ''Sparking Juice'' this is misleading, because basically all of these are non-alcoholic drinks. Unlike in the UK and plenty of other places around the world, cider does not mean alcoholic in america.

But yeah to answer your original question, you have it right. For sweetness you can have very dry, dry, semi-sweet and sweet generally. But you can also have still (non-carbonated) or sparkling (carbonated). Or any combination of those two characteristics.

Latest posts

Back