Chocolate malt question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philsc

Reaction score
I'd like to brew some porter this weekend and have some chocolate malt for the purpose.

What do I do with the stuff?

Do I crush it and throw it in the mash tun with the pale and the crystal malt?

I ask this question because homebrewing for dummies had a throwaway line that went something like "some of the higher kilned grains must not be crushed"

That's all it said.

I've used chocolate malt for steeping and for mashing. It's always been crushed and it's always worked nicely.

Half a pound of Chocolate, half a pound of Crystal 60L and a quarter pound of Black patent malt makes a very nice Porter. Crush it, steep it for 30 minutes at 170F and add it to your boil. I use Nugget and Willamette hops and Wyeast Irish ale yeast in mine.

Tom

Thanks folks,

Thanks figbash for the recipe. I'll definitely try that at some point. I've not graduated to wet yeasts yet.

I don't have any black malt. I looked for a recipe that just had pale, crystal and chocolate and found St. Peter's honey porter. i thought I'd give that a go with Nottingham yeast. It calls for honey added to the fermenter when the fermentation is under way. That sounds a bit nuts. We'll see what happens.

Or I may do this if I chicken out of the honey fermenter issue. I do like mild.

Mash Tun MIld 5 gallon batch Og 1036 ABV 3.5%

PALE MALT 2480 gms
CRYSTAL MALT 880 gms
CHOCOLATE MALT 180 gms

HOPS boil time 90 minutes 24 EBU

FUGGLES 41 gms

Phil

It'll still taste great without the black patent.Just won't be as dark.I'm actually drinking a honey porter that my buddy made with chocolate malt right now.It's delicious.It has the color of flyind dog's road dog porter.

Latest posts

Back