Sugar Sanitization, is it necessary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaltySMoOTH

Reaction score
Is it necessary to boil sugar for sanitation purposes before adding it to your must, or can you just add it raw?

No, just be sure to keep your sugar in a clean, sealed container. Obviously if it has bugs or dirt in it do not use it (I would screen filter it and then make invert syrup').
The reason people 'boil' their sugar is because they are making an invert sugar syrup (many recipes on web). Invert syrup creates less stress for the yeast.
All has to do with invertase. From wikipedia: "Invertase (EC 3.2.1.26 ) (systematic name: beta-fructofuranosidase) is an enzyme that catalyzes the hydrolysis (breakdown) of sucrose (table sugar). The resulting mixture of fructose and glucose is called inverted sugar syrup. Related to invertases are sucrases. Invertases and sucrases hydrolyze sucrose to give the same mixture of glucose and fructose. Invertases cleave the O-C(fructose) bond, whereas the sucrases cleave the O-C(glucose) bond.".
In nature, invertase is found in grapes, not sure about other fruits. Bees also synthesize invertase as they convert nectar to honey. In the industrial trade, yeast is used somehow to create invertase.
The use of invert syrup is very popular, and if you look at the recipe for Skeeter Pee you will notice it uses invert syrup which is made with sugar, water and citric acid in the form of lemon juice. You can also use sulphuric acid, cream of tartar or citric acid crystals when making invert syrup, plus it will not cause regranulation of sugar crystals and it keeps for six months in refrigerator.
The coffee syrups, like Torani and such, are invert syrups with their flavor added and usually k-meta and sorbate to prevent bottle fermentation. Super easy to make your own coffee syrups at home once you know how to make invert syrup.
Just remember if you make/use invert syrup that you know the amount of sugar you are adding to the must because it will not be cup for cup...good reason to use your hydrometer. Most times invert syrup is 2 parts sugar to 1 part water. Since I make invert syrup one gallon at a time, I add 1/4 cup finished syrup to one quart water and measure the SG, then I know what one cup added to one gallon will raise SG by, just multiply the 1/4 cup SG by four. I also measure each new batch, and label the container, because you have variables as you prepare it (cook time, evaporation, etc.).

Back