Cheap and easy pre-chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmob29

Reaction score
I'm goin on my 2nd year of brewing and I have been using a 20-25 ft IC for cooling, but being in SoCal the hose water doesn't get that cold most of the year. I don't want to fuss with pumps and stuff so I started to look for a pre-chiller. I found this one Chinchilla but I thought I could make one cheaper...so I did and here is how...

Part list:
3/8 in x 10ft copper coil -- Home Depot $10.89
2 small hose clamps -- $.89 ea

I took out the copper coil and using my CO2 bottle as a form, wound it around.

Then I cut about half the length of the plastic tube on my current chiller that has the hose connection. Took the cut piece of tube with the connection and using a hose clamp connected it to the new coil. Did the same with the other hose to connect my original IC with the pre chiller.

This took all of about 15 minutes and about $12-13! I haven't tried it yet, but looking forward to it. Currently it take anywhere from 20-30 mins to cool my wort to pitching temps. If this will cut that time in half it is worth it!

pre_chill3.jpg

pre_chill2.jpg

pre_chill1.jpg

Very nice. Thanks for the pics!

Will you use an ice chest to put this in? Just ice around it or ice and water?

I may have to make one of these.

Very nice. Thanks for the pics!

Will you use an ice chest to put this in? Just ice around it or ice and water?

I may have to make one of these.

I originally tried one of those coiled up 25ft garden hoses in a 5 gal bucket which didnt do much. I will probably just try it in the same bucket or maybe a small cooler. Ice and water... maybe some salt...

Latest posts

Back