Blaackberry Melomel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rstanavech

Reaction score
I did a search but didn't turn up what i was looking for. I have a friend that like blackberry brandy and thought she might like some blackberry mead. here's my thought on a recipe for it. was thinking just a simple mead 3lbs honey to 1 gallon of water and pitch in Lavlin 71B-1122 (only because my LHBS is rather small it seems to only carry Lavlin). also not sure what OG to shoot for. let that go until fermentation stops. Than rack to secondary. While in secondary, I was thinking of cooking about a pint of blackberries and make a syrup. when that cools add it to secondary. Yes I understand that it might kick up a secondary fermentation. Which is ok, because I was thinking of making it sparkling.

Open to idea or suggestion.

Have you taken a look at this recipe for Blackberry Mead?

Racking onto a blackberry syrup would not be a bad idea and you are right, it could cause a secondary fermentation or, if you prevent a secondary fermentation, could change it from a dry mead to a medium or sweet mead.

Does your friend like dry or sweet meads? You should plan what type you want to make in order to determine your process.

She's never had a mead that I'm aware of. So, I was thinking of making it on the sweet side.

Not sure why that didn't turn up in my search, but thank you for posting it.

Was thinking of racking onto the syrup because usually the flavors get muted during the fermentation process from what I understand (never made a flavored mead, I enjoy the honey flavor).

The flavors get muted when people dont use enough fruit, if you add enough fruit it will carry itself all the way through from primary to bottle years later. It seems a lot of fruit mead recipes just use enough to get a light flavor, if that is all you want then adding during the secondary or even before bottling is the way to go. We aim for our fruit meads to be from fermented fruit like wine, not just fruit flavored meads, it gives them a much deeper winelike taste. A good trick to add some bouquet to your mead is to drop some strawberries in the secondary, not enough to make it a strawberry mead, but about a pound/gallon will give it a good bit more nose and carry the other flavors with it. WVMJ

Back