Beer loss through "in" post

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fauskie

Reaction score
I have a filled keg with a very slow liquid leak coming from the gas post. It is coming from the middle part that is depressed when the gas line is attached to the post.

I had 12 psi on the keg for about 2 weeks. Last night I removed the gas line on the keg and placed it on another keg.

When I checked my keezer this AM I noticed a small amount of beer on the floor.

The temp is maintained at 36, hasn't spiked or failed.

I tried searching on this issue but it seems others had a problem with leaking on this post due to it not being tight enough. I don't think that's my issue as my leak is coming from the post and "the part thats depressed when the gas line is attached."

Is the post spent or is this something that a failed oring could cause?

image-2397701646.jpg

I recall from when I filled the keg that it does have the long dip tube. I did have this keg filled very high as well, not sure if that matters? My very first time using this keg as I just received it last month....

I "the part thats depressed when the gas line is attached."

Just so you understand some of the posts, that's the poppet. They have a rubber seal that can deteriorate over time. You might have a tiny bit of grain/dirt/etc in the seal. Or it might just be that it isn't seated well.

The first thing to try is reconnecting the CO2 and removing it. That cycles the poppet and can often clear a problem.

I'm def above that level, would this problem occur regardless of a failed or working poppet?

The poppet should seal well enough, when gas is disconnected, to prevent both gas and beer from leaking. You can always just pull out the gas-in dip tube and chop it down. I did this to all mine, they're only about 1" to 1.25" now, I didn't measure them or anything, just cut them off. My issue was beer seeping into the gas lines just past the QD. Once I got the tube short enough, no more beer in the lines.

Back