Priming Sugar Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all. I just ordered a basic kit and some ingredients from MoreBeer to do this recipe https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f70/simple-hefeweizen-186432/ . I substituted SafBrew 33 for the yeast since MoreBeer didn't have Danstar Munich. I also forgot to order priming sugar. Guess it was the 4 beers I had previously consumed that made me forget!:drunk:

My question is, I know I can substitute regular granular table sugar for bottling, but would it be better to order some corn sugar before I get ready to bottle?

Also, will this yeast substitution screw anything up?

Thanks in advance.

Granualar table sugar works great. It's such a small amount that it doesn't affect the flavor. At least, I've never noticed a difference, and table sugar is CHEAP and always around.

Note - you need less table sugar than corn sugar. E.g. 3/4c corn sugar ~ 2/3c table sugar is a good approximation for 5g batch, but measuring by weight is much more reliable.

It is fine to use table sugar.

Won't screw up a thing. The measurements are a bit different, but it's not like ten fold difference. You can google the conversion.

EDIT: Or just look up!!

I used rock candy crystal sugar drops in mine and it's not carbonating. So don't use that!

I've ordered several MoreBeer kits and they all came with 4oz of priming sugar. To me that is not quite enough so I add another 1.5 oz DME. (it's what I have lying around) jm

I find that using table sugar makes for "spritier" bubbles...so for some styles, for example the Belgian Abbey Ale I just bottled, I use table sugar.

So how about for a saison? Bottling one this coming weekend and have been thinking about how I want to carb it.

Thanks! :mug:

As revvy had posted the table sugar does seem to give a different type of bubble. I definitely like it in my higher carbonated beers such as a saison. I have been using it for pretty much everything I bottle now since I keg almost all of my brews. I bought a huge bag of it from the supermarket and it is gonna last a long time.

I used demerara sugar (raw cane sugar) for the 2nd time in my Burton ale. The sugar tastes like light brown laced with honey. Thought it might give a nice bit of complexity to the ale.

Back