Trub question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pivzavod

Reaction score
So I've been on this site for 2+ months, did 3 batches and read contents of the site for 50+ hours (I kill a lot of time at work, home). I read so much (all the new posts and then I search for old ones when I want to research something) and I've seen different things posted about the trub. I was always under the impression that when you transfer the wort you transfer everything, including the trub, into the primary. The other day I saw a post where someone says that he strains his trub when transferring from pot to primary. I always thought that trub should go into the primary because while the beer ferments it can still get some stuff out of the trub. I do see a reason why trub is not transferred to secondary.

Anyways my question is does trub have any nutritional value for the beer? If I strain it then I am guessing the be cleaner even if only a primary is used?

There are differing opinions on the topic. I think the general consensus is that it doesn't really matter whether you strain or not... I don't believe there is much of an effect on the finished product.

Latest posts

Back