Stone 11th anniversary ale contest category submission

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baybrewer

Reaction score
I made a clone of the stone sublimely self righteous aka 11th anniversary ale. It turns out it was super delicious so I am thinking of submitting it to competition. I am not sure of which BJCP style guideline it really fits under. I know there is talk of the "cascadian black ale" or "black IPA" category, but they aren't confirmed yet.

Which style should I submit under for the best chance to do well in the competition???

Thanks for the help. I'm loving HBT

Category 23 is usually a safe bet, but it can also fit under American Stout category. The problem with submitting it as an American Stout is there may not be enough roast character.

Six_O_Turbo's right. It's recommended it be placed in category 23.

There was a good article in the last BYO on Cascadian Darks and the "birth of a new style".

From BYO:

The BJCP does not update their style guidelines yearly, as the GABF does, and Cascadian dark ale has not been accepted as an official BJCP beer style. Unofficial feedback from BJCP officials indicates that, if examples of this beer start showing up at homebrew contests at a reasonable frequency, it could be included in the next style guideline revisions. (If you choose to compete with this style, enter int in Category 23 and describe the beer as a Cascadian dark ale, an India Black Ale or Black IPA.

Thats the problem with 23, its so broad that its basically up to the judges taste that day. The reason I say that is because I was thinking of entering an IPA that doesn't really fall into an American or English IPA so would have to enter it in 23. But I would like to try your 11th anniversary clone :)

Latest posts

Back