lager yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dubicus360

Reaction score
I just ordered ahb amber bock. They suggested using white labs german lager wlp830 yeast. Because this is a lager yeast does that mean that I need to keep my temps low? 40's and 50's. This will be my first laggering attempt. I do have an external thermostat for my fridge so I can maintain those colder temps. From what I read lager temps change, a few days at 40, then up to 55. just looking for a little wisdom. Thanks in advance for any help.

Make a big starter. 2L is OK, a gallon is better if you can manage it. This strain will ferment like a beast if you have enough yeast.

Bring it down to 48, aerate well, pitch the yeast, hold there until you notice fermentation start, then bring it up to 50 and hold until bubbling ceases (14-21 days). Then you can do a short diacetyl rest if desired, and slowly lower it down to your target lagering temp (3-4 degrees per day max, 2 degrees per day is ideal if you are patient).

by starter you mean for the yeast? I did order the ahb yeast fuel. Do I mix that to make my starter? I imagine the laggering time can vary. Is there a base time frame, like bottle conditioning for 21 days? Also what would an ideal lagering temp be? this is my 4th brew, so I still have a few noob questions.

Latest posts

Back