too much yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marshman

Reaction score
Hey, guys, I was wondering if there was such a thing. I'm still primarily brewing in small 2-3 gallon batches while I accrue gear for bigger and better things, and it occurs to me that the yeasts I'm buying are geared for the typical 5-gallon brewer. Should I be adjusting the amount of yeast as I adjust the amounts of the other ingredients, or can I just dump the whole packet in there? Should I try to conserve it, will it keep in the fridge once opened?

Any thoughts?

yeast will multiply in your fermenter until they reach a critical mass. those packets contain a teeny tiny fraction of the yeast that will actually ferment your beer.

use the whole pack, even if you brew a single gallon.

I brew 3 gallon batches all the time and I still do a starter. It is hard to pitch too much yeast and you really want the fastest start you can get.
I pitched yeast yesterday on a best bitter at 12:45 and had signs of fermentation at 2:15 and it was bubbling every 16 seconds at 4:30 and every three seconds by 7:30.

Latest posts

Back