Hefe Spiciness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rinhaak

Reaction score
I'm looking at brewing an authentic German Hefeweizen, and was I curious if anyone knew exactly what caused the sort of white-pepper spiciness in a good hefe. I really like that particular flavor, and I would love to accentuate it if possible. I'm assuming it has to do with the yeast, but I don't know what temps cause it to react in different ways.

I'm thinking of basing the recipe of EdWort's

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f70/bee-cave-brewery-bavarian-hefeweizen-35679/

Thoughts?

Use German malt from Weyermann. At least 50% wheat with the balance pilsner, munich, or vienna malt. German noble hops like Hallertau less than 15 IBU.

The key to fermenting German wheat beer is temperature. 62 degrees is the ideal temperature. Most people ferment too warm, in the upper 60s. Not the best temperature.

The flavor profile in a German hefeweizen is mainly produced by the yeast. The correct yeast to use is White Labs WLP300 or Wyeast 3068. Both are the same strain used by the Weihenstephan brewery. Use a blow off as fermentation is very vigorous.

To recap:

Malt - German malt only using 50% wheat minimum with the rest being pilsner, munich, or vienna.

Hops- German Hallertau.

Yeast- WLP300 or Wyeast 3068

Fermentation- 62 degrees F. Use a blow off.

Five percent ABV +/- 0.5% is perfect balance.

Latest posts

Back