Battlestar Galactica....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Okay, I'm no sci-fi nerd or anything, but I enjoy the Star Wars flicks and all that. Okay, with that out of the way...

...I just stumbled upon the revamped Battlestar Galactica mini-series and subsequent seasons. I'm about to start season 2 and I'm totally hooked. This is an AMAZING show.

I have 3 episodes from the second half of season 2 waiting on Tivo..I cannot wait to get to these....

Any fans? Let's discuss....

I had watched the 9 hour mini-series that started the whole thing, but had never seen anything since then. Last night I got the 1st DVD of Season one and started watching. This show is pretty incredible. It makes you wonder what the hell the directors who make sh*ty shows like Stargate and Andromeda are thinking.

Anyways, I am totally hooked.

I have been watching it since it came on the air a couple of seasons ago. I like it very much. I might suggest that you rent the original episode as that would give some additional background on how things have progressed. I may be able to answer questions from prior episodes.

Blender said:
I have been watching it since it came on the air a couple of seasons ago. I like it very much. I might suggest that you rent the original episode as that would give some additional background on how things have progressed. I may be able to answer questions from prior episodes.

Are oyu talking the orignal 70s series? I've read that the 2 really aren't related. Same title, same names for some of the characters, same designs/names fo rsome of the aircraft, but not much else.

I just love how dark the series is. It is mind-blowing, to me.

The original series is really bad. They call this Season 2 but Season 1 opened in the summer of 04 I think, then returned in January 05. This part of Season 2 is a continuation from back in September or so when the Gallactica met up with Pegasus. There has been 26 shows of the new version on Sci Fi so far. You have some catching up to do. :)

Blender said:
The original series is really bad. They call this Season 2 but Season 1 opened in the summer of 04 I think, then returned in January 05. This part of Season 2 is a continuation from back in September or so when the Gallactica met up with Pegasus. There has been 26 shows of the new version on Sci Fi so far. You have some catching up to do. :)

:confused:

I have about 8 episodes to get on track according to my calculations. That'll be done before the end of the week. :D

The original series from the 1970's was far more impressive on the props, and costumes (least at the time). So, both the Xylons and humans were presented as avanced cultures. With the current series, the technology seems more like current or near future possibilities. In all fairness, I think original series and movies are better than any sequel. I like the original King Kong best. May seem amature by todays standards, but was leading edge technology at the time.

Genghis77 said:
The original series from the 1970's was far more impressive on the props, and costumes (least at the time). So, both the Xylons and humans were presented as avanced cultures. With the current series, the technology seems more like current or near future possibilities. In all fairness, I think original series and movies are better than any sequel. I like the original King Kong best. May seem amature by todays standards, but was leading edge technology at the time.

That is what I like about the new series. It isn't trying to be the original. It is a very different story, just based around a similar concept. In the original series it said the Cylons were created by an advanced culture, not by the humans, which it makes very clear in the very first episode.

I really don't think it is fair to compare them like that--they are apples and oranges as far as entertainment value. IMHO. :D

The new series definitely has a more complex plot. The original was simplistic. The new one requires watching several episodes in sequence to grasp where they are going.

Things like the old Flash Gordon were really something. Space ships, though the weapons of choice seemed to be spears and swords at close quarters. Hard to believe, but that was taken half seriously as entertainment.

Amazing the way so much of science fiction has evolved into science fact though. Makes me wonder if the writers were fantasy or seers of the future.

ORRELSE said:
Showing your age girlfriend.... :p

I didn't see the original when it first aired. I was an infant when it was on the first time. ;) But I watched reruns as a kid in the 80s. Loved it!

I've seen all of the episodes so far from both series and see a strong similarity between the story lines. Back when the original version aired, the trend was to start and complete subplots within each episode while continuing the broader, main plot throughout the series. The new trend is to leave the audience with a cliffhanger or the introduction to a new twist at the end of each episode to bring them back for more. The differences I see are the sexes of the main characters and that it’s harder to distinguish your enemies from anyone else in this new version.

Wild

[RANT]

I could stomach the "reimagining" if it weren't for the the fact that:

1. Their gvt structure seems to be identical to the American Gvt.
  2. The crew on the flight deck look like US Aircaft Carrier flight crew.
  3. They use Handguns that are 2006 EARTH. And even there raptors shoot BULLETS! No self respectng scfi is without lazers or some sort of plasma weapon. Bullets? Come on. Besides where do they get the lead or other substance to make them? Aren't they resource depleted? Yeesh.
  4. The Civilian's wear out of date modern EARTH Western style Business clothing!
  5. Their home planet looks like Vancouver, complete with dumpsters, power lines, ghetto blasters and CD's and payphones and.. er wait it IS Vancouver!!
It's the last three that really bug me and would in any scifi about a futuristic society that has Hyperspace trave capabilty and is not a Near Future USA/Candada/Europe, etc.

I half expect to see them drinking coors light in cans.

The special effects though are great but the overall plot lines in the old version were better. Besides you just can't beat those pharoh helmets. :D

The whole cylons as humans thing has some plot holes. Like aren't they really bioengineered humans, not machines? How else can they bleed, get pregnant etc?

The cylon fighters being biological was an interesting idea. But they would have been better calling the cylons clones and cyborg-clones etc.

Of course the creators did admit they had never even seen the original series until a few years ago.. Richard Hatch's version would have been better based on what I read and the trailer he produced.

They should have just called their planet Earth, set it in our future, having created clones and androids who have run amuck and its us trying to find the other 12 tribes. Reversal of storyline, whalla, everything fits.

Could have even tied in some dead sea scrolls hidden religious texts background info to tie it in.
All though, even we would proabably have some advanced weaponry by then..

[/RANT]

the only thing i remember about the original is that they would say "oh frack", or "frack this!" AND THEY USED TO SAY "NANO-SECOND" alot which i thought was cool...soo never seeing the new one untill the other day, after i read a review that said "the grittiest sci-fi on tv..." (by gritty iguess they mean alot of hand-held camera stuff) any way, sure enough within 5 minutes someone said "frack"
it is totally different than the original corn-ball series save for the word "frack" i guess...

p.s. i think stargate sg1 is a good show...
and star treck voyager is the best star treck ever!

I'm not a huge sci-fi fan (although I read tons of it when I was a kid), but I do watch BG because my wife is usually watching a Mexican soap in the timeslot, or we're out of the house. It's pretty good; I generally don't question holes in the plot (24 is a show I watch every week come hell or highwater). However, I do wish it was less 'touchy-feely' (esp. wrt Madam Pres) and more space battles and cylon showdowns.

you guy's are making me wonder now. i'm not a sci-fi guy either, but always looking for something good to watch when it isn't baseball season. when does it come on Sci Fi?

DeRoux's Broux said:
you guy's are making me wonder now. i'm not a sci-fi guy either, but always looking for something good to watch when it isn't baseball season. when does it come on Sci Fi?

Friday nights....

but I suggest you go to Blockbuster and rent the miniseries....you'll be hooked. For #6, Starbuck and Boomer alone. ;) You'll see what I mean.

ORRELSE said:
Friday nights....

but I suggest you go to Blockbuster and rent the miniseries....you'll be hooked. For #6, Starbuck and Boomer alone. ;) You'll see what I mean.

cool, i may just do that!:D

I used to like the origional series when it first aired(yes I am dating myself) I just never had a easy time getting my mind around them changing Starbuck and Boomer to women:confused: . The effects are great and in general I like what the Sci Fi channel does. They just started rerunning the series John Doe which I loved when it was on. It was cancelled too soon, just like Firefly was. Stargate SG1 is starting to get better now that they brought in Ben Browder and Claudia Black from Farscape. That show while good was starting to get stale.

Oh Frack, I dumped the frackin currents into the frackin keg when I should have just dumped the frackin juice. Now the Frackin pickup tube is gunna frakin be pickin up frakin current frackin bits once they frackin settle.
(My frackin accidental frackin lambic was in frackin need of a frackin fruit taste)

Wow, I can frackin swear like a frackin sailor and still get a frackin G fracking rating!

Frack Yah!
:D

Denny's Brew said:
Oh Frack, I dumped the frackin currents into the frackin keg when I should have just dumped the frackin juice. Now the Frackin pickup tube is gunna frakin be pickin up frakin current frackin bits once they frackin settle.
(My frackin accidental frackin lambic was in frackin need of a frackin fruit taste)

Wow, I can frackin swear like a frackin sailor and still get a frackin G fracking rating!

Frack Yah!

Oh-kay then.....

Denny's Brew said:

Frack Yah!

hahaha, your killing me!

Oh Frack! I can't frackin stop saying "frack"!

I either need serious help or possibly a homebrew... ;)

Oh and it's sunny for once. (can you tell? I'm a bit giddy today - though that could be the insomnia thats been plaguing me finally catching up..)

Our weather here has been quite weird this year. 5c above when it's normally -20c. In exchange it has been damp and couldy when it is normally very dry and sunny.

Been really warm here except for a bit of cold weather in December. Mostly upper 50's and 60's when it should be 30's and 40's. I actually wouldn't mind a little bit of nip in the air...just doesn't feel like winter so far.

Well we've had way to many cloudy damp days. It absolutely bizzare to have high humdity here. We're semi-desert country. At least it ain't raning. I lived through that a lot in Vancouver and the Island.

On topic though: Though she is very very hot. I find that in my head thing with baltar a bit corny. Of course I've been watching on the Space chennel up here in Canada so I might be behind a few epsiodes compared to elsewhere. This week is ep3 of seaon two.

I do agree. More space action less soap opera. (Note to writers: Space opera and SOAP opera are not the same thing)

Still with my complaints... It's still better than 99% of the junk on TV the last few years. I'll just try and pretend they aren't wearing business suits. The hardest part is not picking out the various obvious shots through out Vancouver. :) Well, I always though we was aheads of ours time.

2nd Street Brewery said:
I used to like the origional series when it first aired(yes I am dating myself)
Wasn't that the one with Ben Cartwright? I kept expecting Hoss and Little Joe to show up. :D

ORRELSE said:
Okay, okay...back on topic, please....

Back on the thread then, Any Daggits in this version? Just thinking if DeRoux gets into the show and needs a new avatar?;)

I admit it. I watch the show. I'm not even sure how I got hooked. I'd watch an episode every now and then on Friday nights. Next thing I know I was watching every Friday night. I am so ashamed.:ban:

The original series from the 1970's was far more impressive on the props, and costumes (least at the time). So, both the Xylons and humans were presented as avanced cultures. With the current series, the technology seems more like current or near future possibilities. In all fairness, I think original series and movies are better than any sequel.

This is a case where I love the new version but didn't like the old one at all. A lot had to do with the characters. Loren Green was a bad act on Bonanza and a worse one on BG. I don't think I have ever seen him in a role I liked.

I can forgive & overlook a lot of set problems and so on if I like the actors and the story. My wife and I are watching the series via Netflix now. Good stuff.:mug:

Dennys Fine Consumptibles said:
[RANT]
[*]Their home planet looks like Vancouver, complete with dumpsters, power lines, ghetto blasters and CD's and payphones and.. er wait it IS Vancouver!!
[/LIST]
[/RANT]

My favorite thing is having gone to Simon Fraser University and having lived in Vancouver, I get to see all the old sites, it makes me homesick for the West Coast.

I love that they always use the Simon Fraser campus as the backdrop for their idyllic Caprica before the attacks.

I also loved how they used the Vancouver Public Library (Coliseum looking building) in one of the episodes.

I'm currently on season 2.5 on netflix. Finally getting all caught up on this.

Orpheus said:
My favorite thing is having gone to Simon Fraser University and having lived in Vancouver, I get to see all the old sites, it makes me homesick for the West Coast.

I love that they always use the Simon Fraser campus as the backdrop for their idyllic Caprica before the attacks.

I also loved how they used the Vancouver Public Library (Coliseum looking building) in one of the episodes.

Do you know that SFU has one of the highest suicide rates of any campus and that they now realize it has something to do with the architecture?
The architect of that campus,Arthur Erickson, is well known for having designed buildings that seem to have links to high suicide rates.

So.. Idyllic Caprica... :D

Orpheus said:

Do you know that SFU has one of the highest suicide rates of any campus and that they now realize it has something to do with the architecture?
The architect of that campus,Arthur Erickson, is well known for having designed buildings that seem to have links to high suicide rates.

So.. Idyllic Caprica... :D

BSG is an awesome show. But it didnt rate so well down here in aussie land... so it ended up with a really ****ty time slot. So i just download the epps the day after they air in the US.

Working my way through the DvD's again... bout the 4th time. Tis great re-watching it... pick up on a lot of little things I missed the first time through. And theres a lot of stuff thats just funny now that the final 5 have been revealed.

Who watched the 2 hour "Razor" episode the other night? Wasn't it killer seeing the old school cylons? I was creeped out by those things in the 80's and I'm still creeped out by them.

It was a pretty good episode, IMHO, especially in 100 inches of HD greatness. :D

Godd to have the BSG back. Now, can I wait til frakkin' February?

Back