Fresh Scuppernog wine -- Amazed what people will drink

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

truckjohn

Reaction score
Hey all,

Was at a party this weekend... I have talked with this couple about making wine before... and my wine making "Experiments" Turns out their Uncle also makes some wine...

Would I like to sample this year's vintage? .... Are you drinking it already? Yes... Then sure, I will try some.... all the while thinking to myself... Didn't we just pick those grapes 7-days ago?

What I got was a nice thick 4-oz of Cloudy Yeasty Alcohol-ey Scuppernog juice.... The stuff has been off the hulls for 2-days and they are already serving it! Nothing like that special "Nose" that Live Fleishmanns Rapid Rise yeast has...

Oh... Did I mention my 1st impression was "Wow, so THAT is what live yeast tastes like!"

No wonder Home Made wine has a certain.... Reputation!

Thanks

John

haha! that's seriously jumping the gun. I know that flavor, too. Sounds just like the "fleischmann special reserve" cider that got me started into this hobby :)

No wonder they call them "country" wines! Them there's some mighty fine country-folks you got up thar in South Caroliney--we got lots of 'em here in Alabammy too... Gotta love 'em though---it's against the law to shoot 'em...

Why don't you tell those blessed souls how much you enjoyed their wine and beg for a bottle (or a fruit jar)? Take it home and hide it for a year and then you'll have some real scuppernong wine! :)

Those "Bottles" you refer to are the "Plastic Milk jug" variety... They keep other things in the fruit jars...

I already have several gallons of my own Muscadine and Muscadine + Scuppernog "Blush" slowly bubbling away in the Secondary...

I may pursue a trade in a couple months... Gotta at least give their wine a chance for the yeast to settle out a little and the "Grape Juice" taste to subside...

Thanks

John

I have an idea what goes in those fruit jars and it ain't fruit--but I bet it starts out with Fleischmann's yeast too.... :D

Back