Alcohol or hops vs kidney

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cfonnes

Reaction score
I tore loose a couple of nights ago and had 3 8.5% IPAs.

The next day my left kidney hurt like hell, my piss was dark yellow, and a one point I was light headed and barely able to stand.

Is it the alcohol or hops that are bad for kidneys and is that the problem or is there an underlying problem that the beer exaggerated?

Has anyone heard about something like this?

Its the alcohol, and your dehydrated. If you make sure to drink more water than beer when you cut loose, you'll have less of a hangover and you won't hurt as bad.

I'll start off saying that if you have concerns I'd recommend talking to your doctor over seeking advice on a internet forum. That said, it sounds like it's probably a case of dehydration. If you're dehydrated your kidneys have to work harder. Alcohol is a diuretic and you drank a few higher gravity beers. You don't mention if you drank water as well or over what period of time they were consumed, but my best guess is dehydration.

In my line of work, I've become pretty familiar with the effects of dehydration, and I'd agree that that's what you were experiencing. Next time just drink a glass of water before you go to bed and get some potassium in you first thing when you wake up- OJ, a banana, or an electrolyte drink. Personally, I really like Emergen-C because it replenishes potassium as well as the B vitamins that alcohol takes out of you.

In my college days it was common knowledge that drinking water and better yet Gatorade or other electrolyte boosted water drink during and after heavy alcohol consumption was essential to minimize hangovers.

Thanks guys, I did not expect kidney pain to be part of dehydration.

Thanks guys, I did not expect kidney pain to be part of dehydration.

My wife is a nurse and that is one of the most common effects for non-heat related dehydration...kidney inflammation, headaches, dizziness.

Cold weather increases the chance of dehydration:
People often worry about dehydration in the hot summer months, but cold weather can actually increase your risk of dehydration.

David Davis the Director of Emergency Services for Genesis-Good Samaritan Hospital says when the air you breathe is very dry, it takes more moisture from your body to process it. Also, in cold weather people do not think to drink water as often as they would in the hot summer.

"Your outside your working, your hot, but you may not realize it shoveling snow and playing or exercising and it is really much easier to become a little dry. So you have to make an extra effort to get fluids in the winter time," tells Davis.

Symptoms of dehydration include: dry mouth, headache, muscle weakness, rapid heart rate and dizziness. Not drinking enough water also leads to your skin becoming dry and cracked.

"Your skin doesn't get first priority for your inside fluids, so I guess you have got to moisturize," tells Davis.

Davis says drinking water and eating right while moisturizing can make a big difference with winter dry skin.

http://www.whiznews.com/content/news/local/2010/01/08/cold-weather-increases-risk-of-dehydration

Back