New wine passed down supplies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've made a few wines just what I thought would taste good with a wine twist. 5 total two really good 1 rocket fuel 1 complete fail from tampering. Now this is my 5th I love it got half a glass for taste tonight see if its something worth sharing. It's awesome couldn't be happier its a Texas tea with lemon of course added some raisins to help ferment. It's a dry wine so no sugar taste which made the raisins pop. My grandfather used to make wine no one knew where his supplies were. I found them when I started this batch as a tribute I used his stuff. It was all In my garage so dry yeast was dead some reusable corks Camden tables yeast nutrient and wine conditioner. The conditioner idk how to tell if its bad I'd love to use it for back sweeten. It's dark brown tastes like pancake syrupy hasn't crystallized tastes alright.

Ok theses supplies are over 6yrs old in Texas heat so that's 100s and 0 weather. Would that ruin the conditioner. Was kept in dark not sure if that helps.

If what I got is trashed then I need some way to back sweeten my wine. To be a true southern tea has to be sweet the Campden tablets don't expire I can use those for preservation a lil.

But still need help I might be totally wrong. Would welcome the corrections.

Wine conditioner is light in color. I personally would not use the six year old, dark, oxidized stuff. Due to the temp extremes alone I would honestly replace all additives and start fresh. Good find though!

You can easily backsweeten your wine with sugar. Just be sure that you stabilize with a combo of k-meta/campden and sorbate, after the wine has reached its natural final gravity and then backsweeten. You could pasteurize in lieu of using sorbate.

Latest posts

Back