Ibu open

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reinstone

Reaction score
One score is up. My Dort that got a 39.5 at drunk monk scored a 29? What the heck?

Well that's still in the "good" range and nearly in the "very good" range. It just goes to show no matter how objective we try to make it, judging beer is subjective. Did they mention any perceived flaws? Novice vs. experienced judges?

No it's an online score. I've never scored below a 30.5 in a comp. that was with another beer. I'm a bit upset, This was the best lager I have ever made.....and should have done better at drunk monk as they added one scoresheet wrong. There are three other beers in the comp I entered if they are all low ill know they froze in transit or something.

Kolsch a respectable 34. No place higher than drunk monk. Feeling better. Next up amber ale...might not be hoppy enough. Imperial ipa...might be too hoppy..lol.

American amber 41 . No place....I thought it was the worst.

I've been finding that judging at these things is kind of awkward. Don't get me started on the BOSS competition either, looks like more than half of the awards went to BOSS members. I had an IPA that won BOS at Mississippi Mashout, and hasn't even come close to placing at other competitions.

Next I have a Smoked Porter that people seem to either love or hate. At to competitions it received a 22 and 25. Two others it received 3rd and 2nd place with scores of 37 and 39...so meh. I did Drunk Monk and IBU Open as well.

All in all, I couldn't care less at this point. I just wanted the advice so I can improve.

There are so many factors that can affect a particular score, that I think you just have to focus on whether the feedback is useful rather than the number. Different judges also have different standards for assigning numerical scores - one judge's 40 can be another's 30. What's important is that the judges are consistent. A great beer should make the mini BOS regardless of whether it's number is closer to 30 or 40, and after that point, the numerical score doesn't matter.

Reinstone, a Dort won first in light lager, was that yours?

I entered two in this one - 37 for Cream ale (no place) and 34 for RyePA (3rd in specialty). Never placed in cat. 23 before, so that was a bit of a surprise.

sounds about right. i guess im kinda over the competition. its fun to a point, but its also discouraging sometimes, in my opinion, its a little subjective. however braufessors dort has beat me twice, and both times he has placed first....so there is some legitamcy to these competitions. i will see how the feedback comes in and ill have to make a decision on whether to brew or for competition, or brew for me. when all is said and done.....i believe that in comps you cant try anything new....you have to limit your "artistic" side of brewing. i made a beer that i loved on principals similar to lagunitas brewing practices and i got a wonderful rye ipa. the judges said it was too sweet.....however...the gravity was 1.078...final og 1.010, too sweet....no perception is altered because of a beer that is high in caremel malts melded with a really low mash temp to get it fermented to the right fg. again though.....this is a new concept and every judge has a guideline. when all is said and done i will choose....as a consumer I will buy a beer that is different....run of the mill beers are a dime a dozen, although they conform perfectly to style, the offer no more than bud light offers to American light lager. Cheers. I also think that your less progressive styles like German lagers should have tighter standardsw.....on our American ingenuity beers...lets be lax. No one in their right mind can say dortmunder gold is a good Dort, it's a good beer.....it's not a dortmunder.....it reminds me of a verse in radical brewing that helps me when I feel like hanging it up. Something like brew like and artist with your senses and whims, great beers are not engineered...my personal satisfaction lies in thinking. as i remember and remind myself.....this beer I made is great, and I am the only one in the world drinking this....only me it's my bastard child, perfection is is for a lack of a better word.....subjective, if not boring. Cheers. =sidepart;5038877]I've been finding that judging at these things is kind of awkward. Don't get me started on the BOSS competition either, looks like more than half of the awards went to BOSS members. I had an IPA that won BOS at Mississippi Mashout, and hasn't even come close to placing at other competitions.

Next I have a Smoked Porter that people seem to either love or hate. At to competitions it received a 22 and 25. Two others it received 3rd and 2nd place with scores of 37 and 39...so meh. I did Drunk Monk and IBU Open as well.

All in all, I couldn't care less at this point. I just wanted the advice so I can improve.[/QUOTE]

There are so many factors that can affect a particular score, that I think you just have to focus on whether the feedback is useful rather than the number. Different judges also have different standards for assigning numerical scores - one judge's 40 can be another's 30. What's important is that the judges are consistent. A great beer should make the mini BOS regardless of whether it's number is closer to 30 or 40, and after that point, the numerical score doesn't matter.

Reinstone, a Dort won first in light lager, was that yours?

I entered two in this one - 37 for Cream ale (no place) and 34 for RyePA (3rd in specialty). Never placed in cat. 23 before, so that was a bit of a surprise.
. No my Dort got a 29' another guy on here was the winner. My Dort got a 39.5 from some pretty esteemed judges at drunk monk. My scores were 29 for the Dort, 31 for my imperial ipa....too young, 34 for kolsch and 41 for amber ale....my absolute blandest beer. No places

I literally have 120 bottles of this amber and I don't like it. Anyone want a sample?

I know how you feel. I entered 3. My favorite, a Breakfast Stout, scored a 23. While an American Cream Ale I didn't think would do that well scored a 40. Who knows. On the bright side, second place in cat 23 is pretty cool. I just thought it would be the Breakfast Stout placing. I think I'm disappointed because the one that I subjectively liked so much was not received and accepted in the same way by other people.

I know how you feel. I entered 3. My favorite, a Breakfast Stout, scored a 23. While an American Cream Ale I didn't think would do that well scored a 40. Who knows. On the bright side, second place in cat 23 is pretty cool. I just thought it would be the Breakfast Stout placing. I think I'm disappointed because the one that I subjectively liked so much was not received and accepted in the same way by other people.

Heck yeah. Congrats

When do you think we'll get score sheets back from the ibu? I entered 2 beers as well, first comp too. Year old black ipa scored 31 and an American stout scored 32. Feeling good about it!

Just out of curiosity, why did you enter an american cream ale in category 23 rather than 6? Congrats on the second! (even if it did bump me down to third...) ;)

Just out of curiosity, why did you enter an american cream ale in category 23 rather than 6? Congrats on the second! (even if it did bump me down to third...) ;)

Cat 6 is for American Cream Ales as they were made after prohibition. That would be no hop aroma, slight corn taste etc.

Cat 23 is for the pre-prohibition cream ale. Close to 25-30 IBUS, with some aroma, and some more body. Still some corn and some of the grain tastes, but overall a different beer.

Nice. A common trait in my scoresheet is that I need to dry out my beers. Guess ill go low and slow.

When do you think we'll get score sheets back from the ibu? I entered 2 beers as well, first comp too. Year old black ipa scored 31 and an American stout scored 32. Feeling good about it!

Scoresheets can take 1-2 weeks to arrive I find.

Got my sheets today.

Got mine today also. The YEAR old CDA got dinged for no hop aroma or flavor...wonder why lol. Pretty solid feedback for my stout tho

I got a medal and my scoresheet said I placed first....that's not what the website says. Big surprise, might have to give it back.

Back