Chocolate rye question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacksonbrown

Reaction score
Does it have the same general flavor characteristics as standard chocolate malt? Most notably the slight coffee tones and such?

Because it does not have a husk it is closer to Chocolate Wheat or Carafa Special, that is to say a smoother flavor that a standard chocolate malt in my experience.

So if I'm looking to make a rye porter, would it even make sense to use choc rye if I'm already throwing in choc malt and rye malt?

So if I'm looking to make a rye porter, would it even make sense to use choc rye if I'm already throwing in choc malt and rye malt?

Use it instead of the choc malt, and keep the flaked rye there to enhance the rye profile....if you're worried about not having enough roast in there, you can add a few ounces of black patent (especially if you're after a robust rye porter).....

I've heard that rye stouts can be really really good.

That was my concern, not having enough of an espresso, roast profile. PB is a good idea that didn't even cross my mind for some reason.

Latest posts

Back