anyone ever make a thin, dry stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

progmac

Reaction score
usually with stouts, we go in the high viscosity direction. anyone ever go the other way with one?

i'm thinking something like 10% roasted barley, 10% rice, mash in the 147-149 range, shooting for an OG of around 1.045, IBU around 45 as well.

thoughts?

Sure, people make dry stouts much like Guinness. I make one that's something like 10% roasted barley, 20% flaked barley, 70% pale malt and mash at 148-150F, IBU ~45. It's nice and dry, and the flaked barley helps with head and gives it a little creaminess. Low to moderate carbonation. I'd think with the rice it would be very thin and dry, which may throw off the balance. It might seem more bitter and less smooth than what I have described.

Sure, people make dry stouts much like Guinness. I make one that's something like 10% roasted barley, 20% flaked barley, 70% pale malt and mash at 148-150F, IBU ~45. It's nice and dry, and the flaked barley helps with head and gives it a little creaminess. Low to moderate carbonation. I'd think with the rice it would be very thin and dry, which may throw off the balance. It might seem more bitter and less smooth than what I have described.
thanks for the tip. yeah, i'm thinking i will try one that purposefully avoids the 'creaminess' that we associate with stouts. drinkable and dry with moderate carbonation. it might be weird. i'll do a test batch and report back.

Latest posts

Back