Substituting Marris Otter for Pilsner malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DirtyPolock

Reaction score
I am thinking of brewing up a belgian white for a 7am football tailgate. The recipe is calling for belgian pilsner malt as part of the base, but I have a bunch of Marris Otter from a bulk buy.

What kind of effect on the beer would I expect if I use marris otter instead of the pilsner malt?

In my opinion, there is a huge difference in those two malts. Pilsner malt is very light, and "clean". Maris otter is darker, richer, bready, and "malty".

I love MO, but I can't picture it in a wit at all.

Those are the two grains I probably use the most, the MO and the Pilsner malt. As base malts go they are night and day in difference. The MO is nice and bready, and I've found has a little bit of sweet like character I haven't found in most domestic base malts. The pilsner is a much clean and drier tasting kind of malt with none of those bready characters.

Using MO in a wit you'd likely lose a lot of those light wit flavors and have something with a more bready English mild kind of flavor profile to it IMHO.

I guess that I'll go and buy enough of pilsner malt for the recipe. The next time I buy in bulk I'll get some pilsner as well.

I have some left over Maris Otter, and I was thinking of using it in my O-Fest instead of Pilsner. Thoughts?

Will the maltyness compliment what I'm doing or be too much?

Back