Dealing with camlock spills?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cpt_Kirks

Reaction score
Used my pumps for the first time yesterday. The camlocks worked great, but I had issues with spills. When I moved hoses, some or all of the hot water or wort spilled, making a bit of a mess.

How do camlock users deal with these little spills? Is there a trick to preventing them, or should I put down a little trough or tarp?

Brewing outside, this won't be much of an issue. But with it getting colder, I move my brewing into the garage.

If you use silicone hose, pinching the hose near the connector stops siphoning action. Still a little spill, but the hose doesn't completely drain.

If you use silicone hose, pinching the hose near the connector stops siphoning action. Still a little spill, but the hose doesn't completely drain.

Yep, that is what I have had to do...

It works pretty well and since I brew outside and have a floor drain under my brew set-up, a few drips of wort is no biggie...

My only real complaint is that pumping from bk to fermenter with a camlock on the end means I cannot shove the hose to the bottom of my Sanke. All the agitation results in a big foam head that comes shooting out of the sanke coupler... I have to basically hook up an extension to the pump output to smoothly transfer to Sanke.

Set up a transfer line that only has a camlock on one end. Then you have a piece of tubing to feed into a carboy or other small necked vessel. Just like racking, but with a pump!

An A-clamp can pinch the hose to prevent loss, or I've seen brewers use hemostats to pinch the tubing when swapping fittings.

My cam-locked plate chiller is (soon to be) mounted right above my HLT next to all my other ports (water in, water out, recircs). That means that every input/output port besides wort out is drip-able right back into the HLT like a patchbay. (My rig has plenty of pumps...:)

For small drips below the tuns, I have large rubber bar mats underneath- you know the kind for drying glasses and such. I just let them dry and put them in the dish washer.

My cam-locked plate chiller is (soon to be) mounted right above my HLT next to all my other ports (water in, water out, recircs). That means that every input/output port besides wort out is drip-able right back into the HLT like a patchbay. (My rig has plenty of pumps...:)

For small drips below the tuns, I have large rubber bar mats underneath- you know the kind for drying glasses and such. I just let them dry and put them in the dish washer.

How about some pics of your setup?

:mug:

I haven't mounted my chiller yet, though. I was just sharing the idea of what is soon to be... any drips go into the HLT no worries.

I am waiting on the almost here shipment of new models from dudadiesel that have back mounting studs. I should have the whole thing mounted and done in the next couple weeks and will report back.

Cheap and easy, it also starts and keeps your siphon.

DSCN3041.jpg

Latest posts

Back