Mash Schedules & Sytyles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rkbarnes82

Reaction score
I understand that a higher mash temp will give me a more full bodied less fermentable wort and that a lower mash temp will give me a drier more fermentable wort.

My questions is what differences will I see between holding a 152 (avg temp) infustion mash for 60 min(with a mash out) and a step mash with a rests in the beta range(145) at 30min, the alpha range(156) at 30min, and a mash out(170)?

Assume I am using modified malts with the correct PH and have the ability to direct fire the mash tun.

Not a huge difference honestly. If you're mashing for a full hour in a mid-range temperature (152-153), you're actually going to get a very fermentable wort (I'll see if I can find the data on this) because both enzymes are fairly active in there and 60m is actually a very long time to mash. It helps to understand at a basic level what each enzyme is doing physically to starch molecules and why they work together in that way.

With well-modified malts, single-infusion is really the way to go. A decoction will give you some nice melanoidin formation and caramelization, but the actual step mash part of that isn't particularly important, in my opinion. Many, many people will disagree, though. Old traditions die hard.

Back