Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Pressure treated lumber for hop trellis??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2010, 11:18 PM   #1
I-Hop
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Pressure treated lumber for hop trellis??

So, since my hops are starting to take off, I decided to build a trellis for them to climb. After the fact, I started wondering if the chemicals in the pressure treated wood would affect the hops. I imagine this stuff is toxic but not sure if it would have an effect on the hops that climb it. Does anyone have any input on this??

Thanks.

Once it hits your lips, it's so good! -Frank the Tank

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2010, 12:29 AM   #2
uechikid
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I don't think the chemicals (copper green, Don't know the actual chemical compound) can absorb into the plant. I would make sure the wood has dyed before using it.

"Carpe Diem"

Old 06-06-2010, 01:37 AM   #3
eddie
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I've never heard of the chemicals from the wood getting into the hops. I don't think it's an issue.

Old 06-07-2010, 06:19 PM   #4
mmb
FNG
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3167 Times on 3072 Posts
Likes Given: 173

Dunno about hops but it is recommend to NOT use pressure treated wood for raised bed vegetable gardens because of leaching of the chemicals.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:57 PM   #5
Randar
Damn right I got da brews
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4613 Times on 4516 Posts
Likes Given: 2140

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmb View Post
Dunno about hops but it is recommend to NOT use pressure treated wood for raised bed vegetable gardens because of leaching of the chemicals.
chromated copper arsenate (CCA) is no longer used outside of marine applications, so as long as you don't try to re-purpose or recycle old pressure treated lumber, you should not encounter it.

I believe you are not allowed to use ANY chemically treated lumber if you want to be certified organic, but ACQ, MCQ, and CA treated lumber are not known to contain any toxic chemical according to the EPA last time I had looked into it.

Old 06-07-2010, 08:04 PM   #6
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.

Recipes 

Liked 4828 Times on 4431 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
chromated copper arsenate (CCA) is no longer used outside of marine applications, so as long as you don't try to re-purpose or recycle old pressure treated lumber, you should not encounter it.

I believe you are not allowed to use ANY chemically treated lumber if you want to be certified organic, but ACQ, MCQ, and CA treated lumber are not known to contain any toxic chemical according to the EPA last time I had looked into it.
+1 and a six.

Old 06-07-2010, 08:18 PM   #7
billc68
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmb View Post
I understood the reason for this is the preservatives would actually preserve your garden and therefore not grow, but I heard that 15 years ago when I worked in a garden center.

Old 06-07-2010, 08:43 PM   #8
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.

Recipes 

Liked 4828 Times on 4431 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by billc68 View Post
I understood the reason for this is the preservatives would actually preserve your garden and therefore not grow, but I heard that 15 years ago when I worked in a garden center.
15 years ago, it was bacause the treatment involved Arsenic.

Now it's a copper compound.

Old 06-07-2010, 09:48 PM   #9
rhoadsrage
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I used treated lumber for my hops last year. After 1 year of use it is really faded in color but I haven't noticed any adverse effects. I have also heard of a treated lumber wash that you can put on before treating/staining treated lumber to remove the chemicals from the exterior of the wood. It is supposed to give better adhesion to your top coat. Sorry I don't know the name of it.

Old 06-07-2010, 11:32 PM   #10
jasonsargo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post

Wow. 5+ years ago, when I built my raised bed veggie garden, the Home Depot folks didn't know their heads from their asses about this, so I just stayed away from the green treated lumber. You positive the green stuff today is CCA-free?

In Primary: all-grain ESB
In Secondary: 2011 Szechuan and Black Peppercorn Mead
Bottled: 2010 Clover Mead aging for 1,3,5,10 and 20 years
-----------
25+ batches 10+ years ago and back into it with 10G all-grain beers and annual meads. Equipment: DIY cooler mash tun with slotted copper, DIY keggle and keg-HLT over propane, DIY counterflow chiller, Mini-Brew conical fermenter, 4 Party Pigs. 1999 AHA Nationals- 1st Place Herb and Spice Mead "Szechuan Peppercorn Mead".

Quick Reply