Northern Indiana - New Grower

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jawats

Reaction score
I am in Northern Indiana (literally 500 yards south of the MI border). I am considering growing some hops. I have a few questions, namely:

1. Is it too late to put rhizomes into the ground?
2. If not, are there any varieties particularly good to grow in this region?
3. Where is a good place to obtain rhizomes?
4. Do I need to treat the soil at all? (I've had no problems with growing vegetables in the past without fertilizer, etc.)
5. Thanks!

--Jonathan

No, it is not to late to put them in the ground, but you need to do it very soon.

You may not find a supplier to send you rhizomes this late.

I got mine from The Thyme Garden, Thyme Garden Herb Company organically grown herbs, herb seeds, plants, and hops. , last year.
I have Cascade, Crystal, Magnum, Mt. Hood, Sterling, and Sunbeam.

As far as the soil, just make sure it is well drained. Any good soil for gardening would be good for hops. Try to place them where they would get a lot of sun, except for the Sumbeam, it should be placed some where it would not get full sun. That is according to something I read about some varieties. There may be other varieties with this kind of restriction.

No, it is not to late to put them in the ground, but you need to do it very soon.

You may not find a supplier to send you rhizomes this late.

I got mine from The Thyme Garden, Thyme Garden Herb Company organically grown herbs, herb seeds, plants, and hops. , last year.
I have Cascade, Crystal, Magnum, Mt. Hood, Sterling, and Sunbeam.

As far as the soil, just make sure it is well drained. Any good soil for gardening would be good for hops. Try to place them where they would get a lot of sun, except for the Sumbeam, it should be placed some where it would not get full sun. That is according to something I read about some varieties. There may be other varieties with this kind of restriction.

I am suspicious of things like this, but it could be reasonable - 10 Hop Roots, Combination, Rhizome, Beer, hops - eBay (item 120413815050 end time May-09-09 21:17:54 PDT)- any experience?

I understand your suspicions. I have not dealt with this person or company.

They look like a good deal. The feedback looks good

If you are going to try to do this, you need to get moving. The longer they are out of the ground, the less chance they will do anything this year or at all.

Right now mine are going like mad. My trellis system is not completely done, and some of them have bines that are already three feet long.:rockin:

Back