Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Hoppo's Hops Garden

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2012, 05:15 PM   #31
tchuklobrau
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Looks great. Only concern I have is this. How much will that area get shaded by the trees when they are full leaf? I bring this up because with my setup 3 plants get shaded by the cherry tree growing in the corner alot. their growth is 1/10 of what the others are. Those 3 plants only get like 3-4 hours of afternoos sun, where all other plants get sun almost all day.

Hoping this does not become an issue, setup looks great. looking forward to seeing it when you have the surrounding landscape done, and the hops are full climb.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2012, 04:43 PM   #32
Hoppopotomus
Cedar Hollow Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Points well taken. I addressed my concerns earlier in the thread. The span between the sets of trees is in a SE orientation, so there is full sun for the morning and early afternoon. There are a few hours where the trees do block out the sun, but then in the late afternoon and early evening, there is full sun again from the backside. I'm going to see how they do here first and then if it's obvious that they aren't getting enough sun or not producing viable cones, I will have to move them to the back yard and build a more elaborate elevated bed and trellis system. For now, I'm going to just ride it out and see how they do where they are at. Thanks for the input!

Old 04-30-2012, 04:30 PM   #33
Gridlocked
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 27

awwww. They are so cute! Two years from now you're going to look back and remember what it was like when they were so teeny. ...they grow up so fast...

Sweetcel: "try this, it was dry-hopped with a lot of climax."

Old 05-07-2012, 01:09 PM   #34
Hoppopotomus
Cedar Hollow Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Just a quick update.....of the 8 rhizomes planted, all but 1 have broken the surface with multiple sprouts. Nothing worthy of pictures at this point. The hallerau, the one least likely to succeed in my region, is still in the lead and already leafing out. Once these little b*stards grow a little more, I'll post some pics. I also extended my sprinkler system and installed a 360 degree pop up sprinkler head right in the middle of all of the hills. It is a head that I can damper down the flow rate, so I have it on a fine mist, as to not over-saturate the rhizomes. Now it's a waiting game.

Old 05-07-2012, 02:03 PM   #35
Gridlocked
Recipes 

Nice job!!! C-mon GROW!!!

Old 05-07-2012, 10:54 PM   #36
1fast636
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 282 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 10

sweet man i swear all your threads are awesome i will be watching this on too lol

Old 05-08-2012, 11:03 AM   #37
Hoppopotomus
Cedar Hollow Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Your too kind.

There are signs of life from all 8 rhizomes! I know my hops garden location isn't ideal, with the trees sheilding the sunlight for a few hours during the day, but I'm going to ride it out. After 2 days of solid rain, I'm going home today to mow my lawn and then plan on trimming the cherry trees a little more to maximize sunlight exposure to the hops garden. Unfortunately, there is only so much trimming that I can do. My cable system seems to be functioning just fine. I tooks some of the tension out of the cables and we have had some really windy days over the past few weeks, a couple with 40 to 50 mph wind gusts and I think that the slack left in the cables allows for enough sway in the trees, as there has been no damage to the trellis system.

I know this is , but this past weekend I dug the trenches for my asparagus roots and covered them with 4 inches of top soil. I will then back fill the trenches as they start to grow until the dirt level is back up to the surface. I put the asparagus patch on a south facing slope, about 5 feet off of the edge of my lawn in the back yard. The soil is a mixture of tops soils, sandy loam, and clay. Hopefully they can survive with these soil conditions, but unfortunately the back of my property has a high clay content, hence my hops garden going up front. I also planted my vegetable garden over the weekend as well, so now I can just sit back with a beer and watch all of this stuff grow!

Hoppo's Rustic Basement Bar Build:

Hoppo's Knotty Pine/Cedar Log Keezer Build:

Hoppo's Rustic Dual Fermentation Chamber Builds:

Hoppo's Motorized Grain Mill:

Hoppo's Rustic E-Brewery Build:

Old 05-08-2012, 11:58 AM   #38
TalkingGoats
Recipes 

Oh, Wow. Wish I would have thought of something like this before I planted mine.... Genius and should look amazing.

Old 05-18-2012, 04:43 PM   #39
Gridlocked
Recipes 

Update?
It's been a while since you've posted. What you been doing? Working?
Remember to stop and enjoy a pint every now and then.
Hope things are well.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:14 PM   #40
Hoppopotomus
Cedar Hollow Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

As Gridlocked indicated almost 2 months ago, I have neglected this thread for quite a while. I have been extremely busy at work and just got back from a vacation in the Smokey Mountains. Just a quick update. Those of you that had concerns about my cable/trellis system not allowing sway with the trees....I added slack to the cables and have had no problems through several nasty storms with high winds. Initially, I was not very hopeful that these vines were going to thrive, so I wasn't updating the thread. Once the canopy of the trees filled in, it did cut down on the direct sunlight that I was expecting for this location. They do get several hours of direct light in the a.m. and a couple of hours of partial sunlight in the late afternoon, but there is far more shade than I expected during the middle part of the day. Some are doing well and others are not. I plan on transplanting to a full sun, elevated bed in my back yard next spring with a new and improved trellis system, but for now I just have to roll with the punches.

I'll post some pictures when I get a chance, but the status is a follows.

Hallertau: Was doing great and growing the quickest out of the gait, but the stake in the ground that secured the lower end of the climbing rope was slightly below grade and it rotted the rope and snapped. During a thunderstorm, the rope not being secured at the ground snapped the 2 bines in half. I replaced the rope with a nylon rope and restaked it. There have been several other bines and they are now climbing, but are still only 3-4 feet tall....

Chinook #1: Leading the way at about 15 feet. There are 4 bines that are climbing and side shoots starting to sprout. It was a slow starter, but is doing great now.

Chinook #2: Similar to the Hallerau, the climbing rope rotted and needed to be replaced. The first climber snapped off. I now have 3 bines climbing and it's a little behind the pace of #1 at about 8 feet.

Glacier: Was by far the beefiest rhizome with the most shoots that I planted. It was also by far the slowest starter and although there are numberous bines, 4 of which are climbing, it's very slow. Probably 2 feet at best.

Columbus: Slow starter, but has 3 bines climbing and is at 6-7 feet.

Cascade #1: 3 bines and thriving similar to the chinook climbing to around 15 feet with some side shoots forming. Mild aphid damage early on, but corrected with an organic spray to keep them away.

Cascade #2: Lagging behind cascade #1 at about 9 feet tall. It also had an issue with rotting rope that had to be replaced, so I had to carefully unwind it from it's ascent on the climbing rope and re-wrap it on the new rope. It also had early mild signs of aphid damage, but got under control with an organic spray. I'm not sure if it somehow stunted the grown a bit, but it seems to be doing ok.

Centennial: Sucking A$$. Lots of bines, but not really thriving and wanting to climb. I think that there are 2 bines that are a couple of feet up the line at best and seem to want to keep letting go. I go out there every other day and keep trying to train them, but they are being stubborn. Early on there were moderate signs of insect damage (small holes in the leafs), so I also had to spray with an organic spray to keep the aphids away. It was the most affected of the bunch. Maybe it stunted them????

That's the update, I'll snap some pics tomorrow, so you can see the growth. I am obviously brand new to the hop growing game, so any and all advice is appreciated.

Hoppo's Rustic Basement Bar Build:

Hoppo's Knotty Pine/Cedar Log Keezer Build:

Hoppo's Rustic Dual Fermentation Chamber Builds:

Hoppo's Motorized Grain Mill:

Hoppo's Rustic E-Brewery Build:

Quick Reply