FREE web-based homebrew utility

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlutz1

Reaction score
Hey all,

I've been working on a web-based homebrew recipe log and calculator utility for a little while now. You can check it out at http://www.bbrewapp.com . It's free for anyone to use and always will be. You input your recipe and measured data and then click submit and the recipe and calculated results will be presented to you. If you are happy with that, input your email address at the bottom and click send and you will get an email with a text file attached with all of that information included. Later you can edit that text file on your own and add all of your tasting notes and things like that...

The project started out as a brew utility for the BlackBerry (you might have seen some of my posts here) but as I was working on it, I realized a utility that anyone with internet can access (from any platform) would be SOOO much more useful for everyone. No more of the "Darn, I wish I had the new trendy device so that I had that app!" since any device with a web browser can access the site and use the utility.

I'm kind of sick of working on this side project for now, but in the future I will add a 'general notes' multiline text field and also a strike water calculator as well...

PROST!

Great, thanks for checking it out.

I guess that's what I want to emphasize the most... Yes, there are other free online brew utilities (that have more functionality and look slicker on a pc) but good luck using them on your mobile device!

So is it just a record keeper? I see it doesn't really do anything as far as giving target temps and volumes based on recipe input.

I'll get some strike water temp and volume calculations set sup soon... Otherwise, no it's not just a record keeper. You can use it to temperature correct your specific gravity measurement, calculate your mash efficiency, ABV, and IBUs...

The work flow goes like this... Brew day... You have your previously researched recipe and ingredients and permission from the significant other to use the kitchen for the day (as long as you clean up when you're done). Open BBrewApp on any device and input whatever batch information you want to record(name, date, brewers, batch size, etc.). Then you can input your ingredient information. Press submit and review the calculated results. Think you want some more IBUs or lower ABV? Press back and tweak the recipe and submit. Review the results. Satisfied with the results? Finish the brew day and record everything AS BREWED/AS MEASURED and click submit... Then input your email on the results page and click send. Now you have a record and calculated results of this brew in a text file that is in your email. Add updated notes to the file later about secondary additions, ferment notes, tasting notes, etc. Someone asks you two months later how much maple syrup you added to the boil, or what # yeast you used? Search your inbox for that text file and voila you have it.

-jtl

I've got BBrewApp Version 0.4 (from Version 0.3) up and running now. I added a strike water temperature calculation and re-arranged the layout slightly. Everything is still mobile device friendly (of course).

PROST!

Great app, the only thing is I don't take a pre-boil gravity reading. This should be optional.

Also, there's no option to change the batch size. Boil volume and final volume should be two different inputs.

my mistake, I didn't see the submit button. Most apps and other software packages update real time when jumping field to field. Maybe something to consider for a future update.

I agree, Irregular... I guess long story short, I'm looking into it. My goal is to maintain the light and snappy feel of the site on mobile devices though. That said, I am looking into "light" client-side interaction approaches (AJAX?). Anyway, thanks for the tip!

When I made this last change, I had meant to add a "final volume" field... Working on it now and will be up soon. Thanks for the heads up, jbrook.

I agree, Irregular... I guess long story short, I'm looking into it. My goal is to maintain the light and snappy feel of the site on mobile devices though. That said, I am looking into "light" client-side interaction approaches (AJAX?). Anyway, thanks for the tip!

When I made this last change, I had meant to add a "final volume" field... Working on it now and will be up soon. Thanks for the heads up, jbrook.

No problem, this will be great to use on brew day.

Also, "Click here to return to the calculated recipe" after emailing the recipe is not working.

Yeah, the "click here to return" button... I tried to cut a corner with that approach, but it looks like I'll have to do it the hard way. Meanwhile, you can just click back again in your browser and it will bring you to the first "input" page where you can click submit again to see the "results" page.

Back